Monday, January 9, 2006

Left it All...

Cliffs missive to me Friday about my Sunday 4 hour ride, kept going through my mind, especially during the last ten miles. he wrote, "...Take it slow. Make sure your butt is sore before your legs are sore."

It was a beautiful ride, following the last half of the original Ironman Arizona course, before they moved to the new 'metro-centric' 156 turn course through downtown Tempe. The course had headwinds and hills combined which made for a slow ride out. Coming back I missed a turn in downtown Fountain Hills and instead of a slightly rolly course through town I ended up with four massive rollers that only added five miles but took probably 15% of my total effort to accomplish. I hope I can get the altitude off the Polar to show those. No downhill was worth the uphill.

By the 55 mile mark lactic acid was swelling the ol' quads. I ended up limping in. Let me rephrase that, on the last mile, (66) I made it back to the truck on my last gear. Yes, the "Oh-God-this-is-flat-residental-and-I-am-in-my-steep-hill" gear.

Only two of us actually rode the whole course. I was the only one who actually had four hours of pedal time, my Cateye only records time when the wheel rolls. I left every ounce of energy out there on the course. Which I suppose is the best way to start the year the year off.

Lets do it again!

8 comments:

Flatman said...

Awesome ride, man! Wish I could have been there...of course, you probably would have had to tow me in... :)

IMmike said...

Sounds like an awesome ride. Not bad for January!

Oldman said...

great ride! your going to rock at IMFL!

tarheeltri said...

Nothing like trying to get one more gear out of your bike that isn't there. That means you had a good ride!

Bolder said...

oh, 66 miles on a bike... you know that warms the coldest parts of my heart...

show the polar chart!, show the polar chart!

great ride UCMS Commdore, well done!!

Chris said...

Hey, that's 66 more road miles that I've got logged this year! Nice ride. :)

Keryn said...

Great ride! Way to set the tone for the Iron-Year!

William said...

Awesome ride! I wish I could get out for some long rides. Won't be long now. Nov and Dec down, Jan, Feb and Mar to go...