Sunday, January 1, 2006

CATCH THE FEVER

Have you caught the fever?

What fever?

THE FEVER!

Okaaaaay...what fever?

TRIATHLON FEVER BABY!

I have caught the Triathlon Fever. The good news is that once caught its almost impossible to lose and the great news is that is highly contagious. The Fever is not a bad thing, it's an awesome thing. Imagine a world where everyone has this Fever. Imagine if the media reported a pandemic of FEVER on par with the bird flu.

The Fever for most people starts upon seeing their first transition area. The a racing of their heartbeat and the loss of verbal control upon seeing all those shiny bikes with aero bars and Zipp disk wheels makes you wonder, "Does carbon fiber smell as good as it looks?"

Then later that day, the other symptoms start to exhibit. First is the selfish thought triathlon training would help you lose that last 5 or 10 pounds (*cough*15 or 20*cough*). From where you're at physically you see only thin, muscular people in tight clothing or people you think are close to your physical shape but doing something that at that point you never considered possible for your body type.

Then the mental as you realize, "Man, everyone is so freaking nice. The volunteers, the freaking volunteers are super motivated. This is a very positive and motivating place."

Then the emotional, "I could finish a triathlon."

At this point the triathlon fever is still susceptible to the virus called Common Man Syndrome. CMS brings an arsenal of self doubt and the fear of leaving the comfort of the couch. It is recommended that an already infected triathlete make contact with someone fresh with Fever between 24 and 36 hours after witnessing their first triathlon or else CMS may counteract a future training partner.

I am excited about the world of triathlon, my personal place in that world, my level of training and how all that has changed my life and the changed the lives of people around me.

Have you caught the Fever?




7 comments:

The Big Cheese said...

This was a Great Post, Com. I am feeling the sniffles...

Keryn said...

So that's what all these symptoms mean...I get it now! And yes, apparently, I have the fever! :)

PuddyRat said...

Caught the fever 4 years ago. Haven't been able to shake it since. It consumes me. Dang. I practically lost a JOB over it!

Papa Tweet said...

Com,
All this time, my friends told me I was crazy. Apparently it's a medical condition. If it's a fever, I got a 105. I have the bug big time. I raced one time, since that day, my life has never been the same. It's the healthiest addiction I can think of. Com, I will always be proud of the changes I've made in my life. All I can hope is that I can help someone else change their life too. That is what I envy most about your career. Anyway, great post, I couldn't have said it better myself. Keep up the good postin', the world needs more Commodores. Oh wait, aren't you like the 14th Commodore?
Benny

IMmike said...

Yup, 3 ultra-distance races on the dock for 3006...I'd say I've got the fever and then some...maybe some of those fever symptoms were affecting my judgement when i registered for those races though.

IMmike said...

Yup, 3 ultra-distance races on the dock for 3006...I'd say I've got the fever and then some...maybe some of those fever symptoms were affecting my judgement when i registered for those races though.

Chris said...

Mine comes and goes. It's a good thing I went to watch another IM. The first one I watched, it was very hot and very torturing and nobody looked like they were having much fun at all.

But I have the fever right now though. Oddly enough, hopefully my fever stays around for months and months to come!