Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Which Polar?

Mike asked in my talkback which Polar monitor Chris & I use. I use Polar S625X and believe the same is true for Chris. Chris gave me a link to GIMP, a free software download for putting the graphs online. I wish Polar would get with the program and establish a better tool for getting things online.

I must admit that it is not an easy thing for me to get the graphs online, since I forget steps. In particular in cropping the graphs so that they are cleaned up for review. I have only done a few but hope to get more efficient with each one.

The monitor itself is great. Its spendy but well worth it. Its mostly for running but can be, with some machinations, converted for bike work. Pro's: It calculates sub VO2, resting heart rate, max heart rate and calorie expenditure. With the supplied footpod it calculates distance without needing satelite hookup. If you live for the data and graphs, its the best I have seen. Con's: watch face scratches easily, watch is really a computer so its not as simple to navigate all the functions like say a Timex HRM, cost. If your not mentally strong enough, setting your watch display to Pace and Distance, will totally screw with your head.

2 comments:

IMmike said...

Thanks commodore. I appreciate the review as well.

Chris said...

I've got the S720i. Sort of like the S625x, but without the foot pod, basically. If I had to do it again, I'd spring for the 625. I think it'd be helpful in tracking distances for my runs.

I love the fact that it stores all my data for me and that I can use that data until I can dump it into my spreadsheet later.