Sunday, September 4, 2005

Bike

I travelled over sunbaked desert to the Land Of Forgotten Hills for a 40 mile ride this morning. Had a much better experience today although it didn't start very well. I got out of the house late, showed up a few minutes late and then while heading out had to turn around and get my sunglasses. As I was madly making up time to the pack, I was clocked by an old woman in a car trying to find Maricopa County Hospital. Here is my side of the conversation:

No ma'am, Maricopa County Hospital is not around here its downtown.
Yes ma'am you technically are on the 202 West, but as you can see it stops right there, you want the other 202 West.
Yes ma'am they are quite clever here in Phoenix, there are two freeways labeled 202.
Yes ma'am they both connect with I-10.
Yes ma'am, both 202's go East/West.
No ma'am, they are actually two seperate freeways and no they do not connect.
Yes it is very confusing, this is how you get there...
Your Welcome ma'am, whats that?
Yes ma'am I am almost doing 25 mph, I am trying to catch up with my friends.
No ma'am I am not going to fall over the front of my bike, its called the aero postition, its a good thing.
Yes ma'am I know I look like Brad Pitt, I get that all the time.
(I made that last part up)

So I never caught back up with the group, though we past each other going opposite ways down the road a couple times. I really moved through the hills hard today. Off the saddle pushing, never dropped to the last 'oh my god please make up the hill in this' gear.

I used Cytomax and mixed in maltodextros to bulk up the calories. Each bottle was about 300 calories. Tasted pretty good, even warm.

Distance: 42.5 miles
Time: 2:10 (off the top of my head)
Average speed: 17.7 mph
downhill max speed: 31.5 mph
uphill min speed: 10.5 mph

3 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

Dear Brad,
Do we have to keep track of minimum speeds now, too!? That's SO humiliating! ;-)

Comm's said...

Ahhh, whose Brad, Nancy?

I thought it would be funny to add that since people are so eager to post the fastest that they go during their workout. Notice that put downhill speed and uphill speed. Its sort of a slap to those who write, "I hit 30 mph today" with the assumption that the reader thinks it happened on the flats when in reality it was on a 10% grade AND he was riding the brakes.

I promise Nancy someday I report the minimum speed necessary to keep my bike upright going uphill.

Wil said...

Hey! That WHOLE thing rocks! Way to GO!!! I've heard good things about Cytomax, with your vote I'll try it out.
Congrats on the kickin' ride!!!