Friday, September 23, 2005

New Additions

The benefit of unconditional support from Mistress in my training is nice new Shiny Things. Before you all comment on how cool it is to have that, remember it took almost three weeks of negoiations to get it, which include performance bonuses throughout the training.

After my 3 flats and 2 hour wait in the middle of the desert last weekend I upgraded my bike by adding an X-Lab Saddlewing, all black, which holds two bottles, two tubes, two CO2 cans and an adapter. I am still keeping the under seat bag with 2 tire levers and an extra CO2 for emergancy or give away. With the extra water cages I can be more self sufficent in hydrating, rather than conserving water until I come across a store. I will now be starting off with two 28 oz. bottle of water, a full aero bottle and two 28 oz bottles of 300 calories each.

In order to maintain realistic training along with decreasing mental anguish in open swims, I purchased an Ironman Stealth wetsuit. It was probably overkill, but in speaking with the great folks at TriSports they sold me on the benefits of buying up into this suit since it is made to be more bouyant and comfortable for half and full Ironman distances. Plus I, along with the training group, plan on lake swims all year long since the water temperature last year did not drop below 50 degrees.

I will be able to put both to good use this weekend with my Saturday lake swim and Sunday 60/60 (60 mile bike/60 min. run).

Since the rest of the team is either racing this weekend or tapering for next weekend I will be doing the 60/60 on my lonesome. Which is okay since, cycling is fairly solitary as it is. Maybe I'll take the iPod. Oh quite you goody-goody-no-headphones-while-riding-folks.

11 comments:

Tim said...

Mashboxx names Bebel president
Michael Bebel has been named president and CEO of Mashboxx, one of the best known companies readying to launch a legal peer-to-peer file sharing service.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a russian wife site. It pretty much covers
russian wife related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Nancy Toby said...

Have a great workout! And about those Russian wives... ;-)

Kona Shelley said...

Russian Wives..what gives???
Hey, don't feel bad, lately i've been using my ipod out on my long rides too...I know I shouldn't, 1) I need to train in complete mental deprivation..LOL 2) It's scary when a car comes flying by and you didn't hear them in advance 'cause you were rocking to the tunes..oh well..I try to be pretty careful and only use it on the back country roads...take care!!

Flatman said...

You guys are nuts listening to music while you ride. Coming from a pure cycling background, I would NEVER wear haedphones while on my bike. Sure running, but not cycling.

1. Running is against traffic and you can see what is coming at you.

2. It is much easier to hop up on the curb and dodge a car that you can see, than it is to psychically feel a car coming up behind you and hopping up on grass is not a great option while on a road bike either!

Don't do it man!

Phil said...

Nice job with the negotiations! I think you'll be very happy with the wetsuit.

I know of people who claim that a wetsuit was the only reason they were able to think about doing an Ironman.

IMmike said...

I've got a saddlewing on the back of my bike. I really like it. It's heavier than it seems like it should be so it kind of weighs you down and I may not race with it, but for training I think its great.

I've found that the velcro straps for holding spare tubes don't seem to work too well. They are too big for an individual tube, but if you take a couple of tubes and secure them together with a rubber band that's big enough for the velcro to hold.

Comm's said...

Mike,
I was taught to double loop the straps around the tube and to mount the tube so that the heavier side of the tube bundle was towards the seat.

mipper said...

you have a wonderful wife. enjoy the new shiny things. and i would have never thought to not use the ipod on the bike. is that a bad thing?

Chris said...

Woohoo! Russian wives!

Those X-Labs things are great. They seem heavy, but really by the time you try and haul all that stuff in a bag, you're still carrying around excess weight. Besides, I think we all have a little extra to lose around the midsection before we start whining over a few extra grams. :)

The Big Cheese said...

So if you don't use headphones while riding what the hell do you do?

Wil said...

Check you out with all your new gear! You are ALL set for next season -- woo hoo!!!

OK, now go get your wife some flowers!!!