Thursday, September 29, 2005

Living In A Group Pyschosis World

We happy few that consider ourselves runners, through lifestyle or extension of training goals, sometimes must deal with the...well lets just say indelicacy of the sport. Today I won't be talking about skin rubbing hot spots near the armpits or more delicate areas. Today I won't be discussing the use of pasties to control nipple bleeding.

No today I will recreate a conversation with a non-runner completely agog at me running ten miles in 105 degrees and then flopping myself under my personal water cooler to douse myself in cold water.

Non-Runner: "Did you just go running?"

Me:"No I laid in the parking lot and took at nap for almost two hours. Here's your sign." (Inside joke-go rent Blue Collar Comedy Tour)

NR: "How far did you go?"

Me: "Ten miles. not far."

Here is where non-runners ask the most self-reflecting question of their doubts:
NR: "When you run that far do you ever stop and walk?"

Here is where anyone who runs any respectable distance mentally or physically rolls their eyes. You see to answer NO, I would have been lying, it was a hard run that day and I did walk a few times to drink and stretch out my calves and hamstrings. Hundreds of thousands of people have completed marathons based on run/walk routines, there is no shame in it, but its the tone, the insinuation in the way its asked. If I say YES, then it validates non-runner that runners really aren't that great, I really am not that great. Its a form of group psychosis that doesn't allow someone in the group to break away and be successful making everyone else in the group feel inadequate and weak. So in good salesmen form, I respond to a question with a question.
Me: "Why do you need to know if I walk some or run the whole thing?"

aha. See no non-runner has to either drop it or reveal the reason of the curiosity in the first place. Answer honestly and you get an honest answer, change the subject and subject is dropped.

One time I had just finished a marathon and wasn't very happy with my time. Someone asked me if I walked at all when I had just finished going 26.2 miles the day before and I was sore as hell. I kind of lost it.
Me: "What does it matter if I runned it all or walked some of it. Its more running in one day than you've done in the last decade. You've never run a marathon, so what gives you the right to question my race? Why can't you just be appreciative of the fact I accomplished something that meant a lot to me? A little pat on the back. "

The moral of the story is people who don't understand endurance running, or triathlons, or cycling a century in a day will subconsciously try to beat you down. "Doesn't it hurt your butt to ride that long?" "Why get up so early, why not just sleep in?" "Your going back out to the lake, I thought you almost drown out there last week?"

They don't mean too, but they can be too mean. Negative energy questions spoil the runners high, demean the accomplishment of a five hour ride, suck you down faster than bad form in a pool. Meet these questions head on.

Don't become a victim of peer group mentality. When you rise up from the norm and start to gain some self esteem because you have lost weight, created a long term goal and chopped up all kinds of personal bests getting there, when you have become a better person through exercise, protect it with all your heart. Don't alibi or dismiss the disciplined, proactive, goal oriented person you have become.

Me: "Yeah I walked a couple of times, you want to go out with me next time I run?"

Non Runner: "No way that's to far for me. Your nuts."

Me: "Yeah thats what I thought."


9 comments:

MB said...

I always get that question too, and never know how to respond. Why are non-runners so fascinated with whether or not I ran the whole way?

Mica said...

Its a form of group psychosis that doesn't allow someone in the group to break away and be successful making everyone else in the group feel inadequate and weak.

Wow, that is so true. Thanks for the comeback ideas, Commodore.

Phil said...

Here's another one:

Non athletic person: You did a triathlon on the weekend. How'd you do?

Me: Good.

Non athletic person: How did you place?

Me: (screaming in my head) whether I came 2nd out of 10, 50th out of 100, 999th out of 999 - what difference does it make to you? At the end of the day - I finished a triathlon (the culmination of months of training and dedication) - you watched TV.

Brett said...

I can't get over how many people have asked me how many miles are in a particular marathon. "Oh, how many miles is that one?" "Do you run and bike in that one as well?" :)

I certainly know what you mean. I almost feel guilty telling someone who asked I just ran 18 miles. They look at me like I'm completely nuts, or lying.

Keryn said...

I just went through a round of this after walking a half marathon. The "did you run at all?" questions really got on my nerves. I completely understand. It's like if you're walking at all, it's no big deal.

Isn't it enough that we're out there doing it? Its not like the people who ask these inane questions could do any of it.

IMmike said...

Good answer. I agree that there is a pretty significant mental break between people who do endurance sports and those who don't. What they don't understand, and what's plainly simple to me now, is that excercise just becomes a part of your routine. You run because you and and you do. It doesn't matter if it was 2 miles, 10 miles or 26 miles.

Papa Tweet said...

Yo Commodore,
How many times have you been asked, "so how long was your Olympic triathlon, oh just a 10K for the run hah. So you don't swim a mile? All the while, I'm thinking, can your cigarette smokin' ass do it?

Then there is the "You must have too much time on your hands, there is no way I could squeeze that into my hectic day". Then you call them at night. "What are you doing? Watching TV". Who has more time? Ya, that's it, I have a ton of extra time. No you jerk, I'm just more disciplined than you are but you are to ignorant to understand.

I have taken a new approach to these questions. Instead of getting pissed at those that simply have no idea, I try to encourage them to make some changes in their life. Ya, it's not that far, you wanna give it a try? I can help. Lets go for a run! That usually ends in a prompt no thanks, or occasionally it gets someone off the couch and the rest is history. Sorry for the ramblings but you hit a cord with me too. Thanks for the good words Commodore.

tarheeltri said...

I've never really been asked if I walked at all... but a lot of people ask how I did. I usually say, "I finished at the pace I trained for" (which I usually do) and then start talking about all my training.

Interesting enough, my old office was non-runner and my new office is non-runner, as well, but everyone at the new office know what triathlons are and seem generally interested. It's nice.

William said...

Let me start off by saying I love this post. It is one of those unspoken things I have experienced as well but that I internalize.

I have experienced the same thing in regard to vegetarian/vegan diet, technical certification courses I take, miles I ride on the bike, miles I ride on the motorcycle (1000 in 24h), and just about anything else I do out of the ordinary.

People need to rationalize things. I think it's a basic human trait.

I personally take pride in my accomplishments but if someone asks me if I walk, I answer honestly and if that helps them bring what I do down to a level they can understand, then good for them. It's more a reflection on them than it is on me.

A good response might be "would you walk?".

The lesson? Make sure we don't do the same thing to others about things that they do that are important to them.