Friday, September 9, 2005

2,150 Swim

Lost out on a ride yesterday but recovered with one great swim. Did a warm up of 2x25 and 1x100. Then a main set of 10x100 on 5 seconds, then 1x1,000. Mentally and physically I knew I had this in me so I felt like I needed to go the distance to calm my emotional side when I do my lake swim tomorrow.

I may stop by a sport store and see what the price is on training fins. I may not get them but it wouldn't hurt to use them as a training tool until I am completely confident in my non-pool swimming ability but can still have meaningful workouts in a lake/ocean environment.

Anyone out there use fins in training?

6 comments:

Flabbyironman said...

if you're going to buy something for your swim, buy fistgloves, not fins. The fist gloves will help you learn to derive your power from your torso instead of your hands. They do it, basically by taking away your ability to pull through the water with your hand. The fins on the other hand are mostly a crutch. If you can't use them in racing, why use them in training?

YMMV

Oldman said...

have you watch the TI video or bought their book? it has a lot of really good drills. they also have fist gloves that are a great training tool. like flabby said fins tend to be a crutch.

mipper said...

great workout comm! good luck in the open swim tomorrow. you'll do great!

Flatman said...

I third the comment on skipping the fins. Everything I have read lately says it is better not to get used to them...but, what the hell do I know. I haven't swam any real distances in two months!!!

Wil said...

I wouldn't use fins, I've heard that they kind of act as a crutch, and then your swim is weaker when you're out there in the lake because you're used to that help. If you want something for speed, try training in a drag suit (an big old baggie Bermuda thing'll do - then race in a tri suit, or if you are so bold, a Speedo! Rock the open water outing tomorrow!!!

Chris said...

Fins can definitely be a crutch as a pull buoy can as well. I think they both have their merits, but they shouldn't be relied on to make it through your sets. I think they're good for letting a swimmer know what correct form and body position feels like, so they're good for drills. But for main sets, I'd drop the equipment and try and mimic that body position as much as possible with normal swimming. If that makes any sense at all?