Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Not a bad idea

Does this sound familiar? Can't find your drivers license because you left it in a jersey pocket, in your bikes bento box, in your camelback or running belt. I mean obviously you don't want to get into trouble and not have I.D. I have thought that I may be hit by a car and being unconscious unable to have anyone notify my family or know about my medical history. Being the recipent of some doozy head injurys it's not too difficult to imagine me taking a blow and being out of it long term. BTW, I never play contact sports like football, basketball or soccer.

As I was going through my junk drawer I came across an old drivers license with an old address. Then I remembered that I had one of those electric label makers downstairs. So I decided to work up my old lisence with pertinent information so that I could carry that with me instead of my official lisence. I put on it my new address, phone numbers for Mistress and parents and also my big ticket health issues, like my blood type and that I am a prior heat stroke and had multiple head injurys. Most importantly across the top of the card is my medical carrier and group number.

I was able to keep my photo visible, my birthday and the license number. I used a blue sharpie to underline the insurance part and then ran a strip of that thin, clear packing tape over it to protect it from rubbing and wetness.

This way if I lose it or misplace it after a hard workout, I am not really out anything that the cops or an ID checker would complain about if I am carded.

To go one step further I am going to investigate a pre-pay debt card. I was thinking about that at Starbucks (they have reusable cards). I would just put $50 bucks on it and carry that instead of my Debit card and then wouldn't have to destroy my wallet every weekend to be safe. Yes I know a $10 bill would be easier to carry for bikes and runs, but 1) it may not be enough money for something like a round of coffee or drinks post workout and 2) I really don't want to stash a wade of ones on my person after buying a $1.50 gatorade and lugging them around until I get back to the truck.

8 comments:

Chris said...

That's a good idea... and cheaper than RoadID!

Nancy Toby said...

Good ideas! I often wear a waistpack or something like that, and I have a $20 inside a baggie in each, PINNED in (I've lost them when I was fumbling around and left them loose).

Sorry, I don't have an adult personals blog....

Flatman said...

Hmmm...prepaid debit card. Would you mind getting me one of those while you're out...just e-mial me for my address. How much am I getting?

Keryn said...

That's a brilliant idea! I think I will try to do the same thing!

bunnygirl said...

Those are some good ideas! But instead of carrying ID when I'm staying close to home (obviously I have it with me if I drive somewhere), I just carry my health insurance card. I figure anyone who lacks sufficient intelligence to figure that the card is probably mine won't be smart enough to do me any good anyway, should I be found unconscious on the side of the road. You know?

MB said...

For a long bike ride, I put $10 and my cell phone in a small ziploc in my back pocket. The ziploc keeps everything from getting all damp and sweaty. But I should start carrying some kind of ID. Thanks for the reminder.

mipper said...

great idea comm!

Den said...

Wow, I was just messing around and found your page!
Very nice.
If you are interested, go see my pocketbike related site.
It isnt anything fancy but you might still find something of interest.