Sunday, September 4, 2005

Random Musings

Just some thoughts rattling in my head until the next blog.

1) My in-laws moved back into town for the third or fourth time since we have lived here. Whenever they come over, its always hockey (well not now) or country music through the cable box. I can't stand either (apology's to the Canadian bloggers).

2) I don't like to swim with old people.

3)When I was at the grocery store today, I was watching these two twenty pretty year old girls for lack of a better word, having a conversation about something or other. An older woman, late 40's or early 50's walked by and she when she saw the younger girls the expression on her face changed from placid-thinking-about-groceries to I suppose one of defeat or maybe envy or inevitability. It made me think, maybe the older woman was pretty like that when she was that age. Do young woman look at older woman who are 'mature' physically and think that's what they will look like? Guys have a saying about their girlfriends, "If you want to know what your girlfriend will look like when she's old, look at her mom."

4) I have no memory of being a child, (amnesia from a head injury) so it amazes me to watch my son learn and go and express himself. He says words now and signs things that I know I never thought him. I get to live my childhood again through him and it blows my mind.

5) Driving a new minivan is not that bad, but not something I really want to do all the time. Once per week is fine by me.

6) I love Fall. I lived for it Washington doing more running, camping and hiking than any other time of the year. Halloween costumes and decorations are already up in stores. Today I bought a butternut squash because I love them so much. I can't smell much (same head injury) but pumpkin I can smell because its strong. I love the sound of the wind, a crisp morning chill, an overcast day with drizzle, but I don't get that in the desert. I vow to take my son for hike in Flagstaff or Sedona before the end of the year.

6 comments:

tri-mama said...

I like this post-reminds me of how my mind works. I've been way too busy with kids going back to school to post much, but I still enjoy catching up with you all. I don't think looks catch up with girls until those first wrinkles or gray hairs. By the time you think about aging you already have.
the fall is making a slow steady ascent here now, I love the change of seasons too. Hope you make it to that hike.

Comm's said...

When one goes about choosing the template of their blogs, its like browsing for running shoes based on color first and function second.

Subconsciously I choose colors that represented the season I love best. And I was always told I was a summer.

Nancy Toby said...

Um, how old exactly are those old people you don't like to swim with? I'm feeling pretty old lately!!!!

Comm's said...

Nancy I'll swim with you anytime, hows that.

I think what I meant was I don't like to be in a pool hanging out. I have never been an outdoor hanger-outer. Either I am on the coach indoors watching a movie or I am training outdoors. I am not a sit-in-the-sun-beer-in-the-pool guy.

Ironayla said...

I love the fall as well! We just had a bit of rain yesterday and I love how it cleans the air and everything seems to fresh! The morning temps are starting to drop and I am looking forward to the change in the colors.

Love you picture!

I will try to take my camera around with me and take some photos for you when the colors do change.

Keryn said...

I didn't love fall growing up (in Alaska, you learn to love spring and summer - fall means rain and brings on months of shorter days). But after I moved to Iowa, I learned to love the cooler weather, changing colors, and crispness that comes with fall. I love the back to business feel of it all. It's refreshing. Thanks for the great post!