Monday, July 2, 2007

Long nights, late mornings

I knew going into this weekend that training would be light; my shoulder has been getting better but still having problems getting it over my head or putting too much weight on it. In fact I only got in an hour on the trainer.

I also had discussed with Mistress that I was going to go "Game On" at some point this week and wanted one last weekend of staying up late and sleeping in (till 8am) before I once again start getting up early for tri practice.

I have too much respect for quality training to pollute myself with bars, bad meals and late nights when I am in training mode so I am in bed early. I really like staying up on Friday's and Saturdays; there is usually some great B-movies or interesting historical documentary's. I also feel the effects I have on the whole family when I am around the house on a Saturday or Sunday morning as opposed to coming back just as they are going down for naps. Everyone is happier.

The next three days will be the hottest days of the year thus far, foretasted 114-117 degrees. No way I am going to any large gathering for the 4th of July at that temperature.

But I will definitely go for a short run today.

5 comments:

tarheeltri said...

While there's not a whole lot I would trade for my Ironman status, it is nice to be around for the family on weekends. Focusing on shorter distances this year has allowed me to have that drink (okay, who am I kidding... drinks!) get up late (7 am), spend time with the family, and still get my "long" workout in between 2-4pm when everyone is napping. I'm glad you got some time to enjoy that too!

Phoenix said...

Balance is hard to find but sweet when you get it. "To everything there is a season." Enjoy your quality time (and sleeping in) now and enjoy your "Game on" status when it comes. Life's too short to not have fun.

I don't envy your weather!!! Yikes. I'd definately be rethinking my "outside is better" training attitude! I'll take 8 degree winter days over 117! Dang!

Bigun said...

looks like an electric bill to rival any IM entry fee...enjoy those temps and have a happy 4th - at least cook up a hot dog or burger and swill a beer with it - just one (one ping only, pleash...) and treat tyrona-mo-raus rex to some fireworks (if it's not too past your bedtime...)

Iron Pol said...

Well, family committments tomorrow forced me to move training up a day. So, after Coach Mike crushed me with a stupid long swim in the morning, I got to crush myself with a bike/run brick in the evening.

That means I get to sleep in until 6 am. So, it's catch up on blog time.

I'm just amazed to see you're actually taking the down time you so desperately needed. It's good to hear.

Andy said...

I hear you on taking that last weekend! I remember when I was trying to get my 2007 season started in December after I was sick, and I took an extra weekend before I got started because I knew what that meant.

I hear you on the heat. I don't think I will be visiting my parents in Henderson again during the summer unless I must. Last time I was out there, it got up to 118F and it was miserable. I don't care if there was not any humidity, 118 is 118 no matter how you cut it.

Murtha...