Friday, July 27, 2007

Rescue 911

I had to rearrange training due to the illness in the house and missed the usual OW swim with the guys Thursday. Jeff called me around 8pm and told me an amazing story with the sincere wish that I was there.

Apparently a father had clambered around the inside of the canyon till he was in the very rear of the slot by the back buoy we normally swim too in our circuit. The buoy is at the edge of the shadow and the water in the picture, right.

Jeff and Glen were swimming away from the buoy but Jeff kept looking over his shoulder because this man was maybe 50 feet up on the wall and look stuck. Jeff heard a yell and the man had fallen into the lake.

Jeff swam to the man whom had deep cuts in his knee and scalp while at least one of the kids, not a strong swimmer tried to assist. Glen went to waive down a sheriff truck or call 911 and then came back. The two of them eventually helped the rescue people get him in the boat, to the marina and he was medevac'd to a hospital.

Speaking with Glen last night, who promised a post on his site sometime today, he was grateful for being there to help the man but wished I had been there to at least help him, since he generally feels safer around me the desert because of my background in outdoor lore and my propensity for studying and preparing for survival situations.

I took that as a deep compliment. I get a ration of crap from people, (including Nytro) for having a pack with me but usually in that pack along with my daily gear is a compass, flash light, means to start a fire, a bandanna, plus more all in case there is some emergency. What I really want is a PLB which up at the lake where there is no phones or cell service for a 20 minute drive, could be faster than hunting down a first responder or park ranger.

Congratulations to Jeff and Glen for most probably helping an idiot save his life and I mean idiot only in that the situation was entirely preventable. Their quick thinking, swimming endurance to tread water for so long and help get him on the boat, will allow a family to merely count their blessings and not mourn a passing.

5 comments:

Tri-Angle said...

The boys did good! What a great story

Siren said...

Those are some great friends you've got. As litigious as our country has become, not many people are willing to stick their neck out for others any more.

Nytro said...

glad to hear he was okay... good thing they were close by.

but, in my defense about your murse (which, i see you've taken to calling a pack... don't think i was fooled), you forgot to mention the lipstick you store in there... cuz, you know, a guy should never be without access to his face paint.

;)

Comm's said...

First, it is not lipstick, its bodyglide. I would think someone with chub rub could tell the diff.

Second, my 'murse' is usually an official Ironman drawstring bag. Calli it Flippys Book bag and I'll still carry it around.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Wow - fast action by your friends.
You and Nytro crack me up!!!
Jenny