Saturday, July 7, 2007

Early morning wake up call

It not even really a early morning call. I have been up for training much earlier than 0440. But I'll tell you after Ironman last year, it really seemed pointless to get up earlier for training than I would for one of the biggest races of my life.

I understand now that its not the time that I get up its the quality, quantity and consistency of the training that is more important. I suppose now I am 'wise' enough to know I have to train my body to take naps during the day as much as I need to train it to develop a cadence of 85rpm on the bike for 112 miles.

I allow myself to buy into to quotes that work for some and not always for me. Its easy to quip, "That's to early" when able to train almost at will or have the will to train at night. Not so when my training patterns are different.

I am amazed at how IronJenny really does little training between her monthly half-ironmans, ironmans, marathons and whatever else she cooks up for herself during the season. She is truly a woman of endurance who has learned how to practice her body in the office season and enjoy her races. My partner Jeff is another of those types that performs exceedingly well with minimum training.

I can't do that. I need moderately long training hours each week, 10-18 hours consistently to even feel progress. I need long runs and long rides to build endurance. This off season allowed me to review, experiment and test what style of training works for me and it is much more journeyman than master. So its back to early morning training, at least a few days per week while the temperature is under 100 degrees. Perhaps back to two-a-days when I don't do LSD bricks.

I think perhaps I have also missed the sunrise. I have for most of my life been a morning riser and gained tremendous energy and power from being apart of natures awakening and in the last couple years have not been able or willing to do that. Watching the sun come up over the mountains in rays of misty golden hues, not yet the frightening heat but just the comfort of light that soothes mans soul after a period of darkness is a metaphor that can only be apt for those of us who enjoy the silence of a road we know that in just a few short hours will carry thousands of cars. Right now though, it just carries us and the sound of breath and our own thankfulness spoken wordlessly in the silent morning air. Mornings are opportunity's to realize we are alive.

Live.

7 comments:

Bigun said...

Perhaps there's some truth to the stigma of "endourance toddler" vs "endourance adult" - especially since, with me, most of my early "training" was weights, sprints, repeat - very anerobic, vs now, trying to change to an aerobic physique (sp?). Not to mention all that sedentary time inbetween...didn't I say not to mention that?

Andy said...

I know that I have not been a morning person most of my life, and my lifestyle or life in general has prevented that transition. Not to mention that if you don't get up at O' dark-thirty, you will be scorched in the Arizona Sun.

With the endurance, I am definately not in the gifted boat, and I will also have to side with Bigun, as I have always done more anerobic and weightlifting activities and only my running (never over a 10K until I began tri's) was a minor portion. Now I too am trying to transition to endurance rather than power/speed.

A hard road, but one I look forward to.

Have a good weekend.

Murtha...

Di said...

Comm, I don't get up at those hours to train - for anything.... Being somewhat spoiled by Florida temps, I prefer the afternoon for riding. What I do love about the morning is exactly what you described. I love beating the sunrise so that my soul can experience the birth of a new day.The sunrise is probably my favorite part of the tri's too. I am alone in a massive crowd of people, Bigun is setting up in transition and get to enjoy the sunrise. My favorite alone time of the day.

Wendy said...

I watched the sunrise over Bullhead City from Laughlin in April. Not only did I watch, I took pictures.

JohnnyTri said...

yes, I like early morning to understand that I am alive, while out there!

IMAZ huh.. Great Job!

rockon`

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

18 hours regularly? THat seems like so much... Can't you just do the "long" stuff and forget the rest? The "rest", stuff like intervals and speed work, is for people who want to go faster and faster. I gave up on that - I'm happy just smiling at the finish nowadays. But I'm still an athlete! ... of sorts...
;-)
xoxo from MN
Jenny

Phoenix said...

I love the sunrise - some of my best moments have been at sunrise. Watching the sun come up over my favorite running route, turning toward home, swimming in the outdoor 50 m pool and watching the sun come up with each breath. Getting up early in Mexico on my honeymoon and sneaking outside to watch the sun come up over the ocean before getting a run in. The sun coming up on the trail as I boil water for coffee and just take in the quiet. Good times.

Its gonna be a good year for you, Comm. I can just tell.