Monday, July 30, 2007

You can't figure that out?

One of my clubs was bitching that their printer for client files did not work. "Help us. Help us."

I tell my partner I'll go up there since I have some work to do there myself. I go up to the club and I am working on a really sensitive legal matter and time starts to slip away. I get a call at 4pm, "Hey you look at that printer yet, I'm getting calls."

"No. I'm here though, let me drop everything I'm doing to help them out." I respond sarcastically.

I call back at 4:02pm. "Yeah somebody tried to force the square USB head into the port and they broke the USB connection inside the printer. Unless someone has a LPT1 cable in their drawer, we need to buy that cable or buy a new printer."

Now that wasn't that big a deal but I wish someone had the huevo's to say, "Um yeah we broke the printer can someone fix it." It would have cost me or someone a good drive to and from this place if I wasn't coming here. Plus the clubs (maybe) misdirection and (obvious) lack of personal investigation has cost some people the ability to access a print out of their files.

I was telling a manager what the problem was and an employee said, "Oh you need a LPT pin connector." Well Duh! If you knew the term you could have diagnosed the problem.

Well at least I got to use my brand new Gerber Infinity Ultra flashlight I bought today at REI to shine into the port to figure all this out.

So lets use this posts comment area as a crap box for your most recent dose of idiocy from people around you.

5 comments:

The Big Cheese said...

On the subject of flashlights...I hate broken links on blogs.

Oh, and I have been looking for a good LED flashlight. What should I be looking for interms of brightness, how do I even know? I am looking for something for work to look into crawl spaces, attics and such. I am also wanting something for camping and general use.

tarheeltri said...

Get the hell out! I bought the same flashlight in April for my 24 hour trail relay/camping trip! They had me at Gerber...

Nytro said...

sweet... i've got a couple for ya.

the office secretary... she has a routine. she doesn't understand what it is we exactly do in the office, and if something disrupts her routine, all hell breaks loose. it doesn't matter if it's not a big deal. it BECOMES a big deal. it's the end of the world! and she's in my office six of the eight hours i'm there telling me how this teeny-tiny thing which doesn't fit in her routine is totally messing up the system. all this when i'm trying to, you know, work.

oh, and btw... when your computer is running slow, FIRST you reboot to see if that fixes it, and if it doesn't THAT'S when you ask me to fix it. cuz, you know, i know exactly zero about computer other than to reboot... and since that's something you can do yourself... well, you get the picture.

let's see... what else? i'm sure something will come to me. today's only monday.

Andy said...

I have way too many to tell, due to the fact that the bank I am working for is going through their actual merger process right now.

Idiocy seems to be contagious around here...

Murtha...

Brent Buckner said...

The unFredliness of it all....
;-)