Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Ground Zero

Mistress and Mighty Mo now have my cold. This is what happens with family's, eh?

The monsoon season has finally arrived and the rain is a welcome distraction from the infernal heat. If nothing else its nice to see some clouds. Yes in the desert southwest we generally lack clouds, outdoor water and anything green not considered a weed or cactus.

On my run yesterday I thought about 'The Beginning'. It was my first workout in a week and as you all know we tend to think about starting over and new beginnings and journeys and all that when we get back or dare I say it Begin a new training cycle.

But "The Beginning' is rarely the Beginning of Anything (action) but the Beginning of Something (thought). Take Ironman, for example. Many of us have signed up for Ironmans, (you can insert your own big race if not), and you didn't get off the computer and then go do Ironman workouts; you probably did the same thing you had always been doing and then later realized you better get something more solid started.

We all decide to begin something like diets, workouts, better consistency, start doing something different but there is a pregnant pause between the thought and the action.

It is not always our fault. I was thinking this yesterday as I had missed the previous week to the cold after a week of vacation. That week of the cold was to be spent in base building. So yesterday was my Beginning (action) of base building, but now Mistress and Mo are sick and my Beginning of Anything has been returned to my Beginning of Something (thought).

The nice thing is that I have a community online and IRL that can keep me plugged in for beginnings like these that sputter instead roar.

5 comments:

21stCenturyMom said...

Sometimes rolling with the punches can be the hardest workout of all.

You'll get back in the saddle - patience.

I hope everyone feels all better very soon.

Bigun said...

If this were, say, Dumbledorf, you could do whatever you pleased and train all day and not worry about anything else. But it's not. Hope the family gets better soon so you can roar...right into your long, slow distance base building...yawwwwwwn...

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

isn't it ironic to call it a cold when it is so effing hot outside?

You still have base below that base - but it always feels so good to get back out.

Kona Shelley said...

Hope you all get better soon..me...i'm too pooped to even think about training..think i'll just sit here with my feet up..LOL

The Big Cheese said...

Com,
You have really developed into a good writer.