Saturday, September 2, 2006

A voice in the void.

Shelley, who I secretly, well not so secretly, wish would post more of her 'going out on the town' pictures because she is so fabulous, left me this great comment.
You have "enough" heart Comm...you will get through this, you will be passing by all of us twice, we will be yelling at you and you'll be yelling at us....it will be fun. No one goes it alone!!!
Coming from a five time, soon to be six time Ironmaiden finisher, I respect her perspective.

No one goes it alone.

And that reminded me that with all the things one must do in training, race days are different. I think of the hottest of hot days I run in the Sonoran Desert. One water bottle in my hand and two bottles in a dual water belt, 60-80 ounces in all. I won't have to carry any water at ironman, there is an aid station every mile.

I think of all the long rides I have done by myself. I think of all the solo two and three hour runs I have done, again by myself. At ironman it will be different. I will have a dozen of my closest friends I have never met passing me from one direction or another and cheering me, much like I will be doing with them.

I don't know what November 4th between the hour's of 7 am and midnight will bring for me. A long day, a short day, hopefully a day of completion and success. Who knows. But I will not be alone. I will never be far from a smile and 'Way to Go!" shouted across the street, not from faceless, nameless spectators but people I have been commited too for almost two years.

Every man and woman is a voice. And in that void of race day, when our focus becomes as myopic as just getting one step farther, I know now that I will be also watching the forward progress of all my friends. Their success, your success, becomes my success and I will crave the encouragement I can give and recieve.

Thanks Shelley.

1 comment:

Kona Shelley said...

blogger sucks sometimes..I just read this very nice post...thanks!! I meant it you know...as I told Nancy too, I want to be there at the finish line to take a pic of your face crossing that line...I will be there till midnight watching that final person cross that magical line...it's the best!!