Sunday, September 3, 2006

Not one for deepness...

Okay I have tried the deep prose introspective stuff in the past and quite frankly I suck at it. Terrible. Its few and far between you will get me to examine my sensory and preceptual experience in any manner that is well thought out and has a point.

However I every now and then think of something that may resonant on this blog because well it resonants with me. Today I thought about granite. Yes the rock. Well the metaphysical rock that is inside all of us.

As we live our lives in a state of Common Man Syndrome, this granite remains unchanged. CMS as you remember is a conditioned state of physical, mental, emotional and financial atrophy; many times perpetuated by a group or herd mentality. Leading a lazy and uninspired life.

Its when we begin our individual quests for personal satisfaction and greatness where we generate the ability to wash away the baggage, the complacency, the victimization surrounding the granite inside us.

In terms of Ironman, as if I think of anything else nowadays, the muck around my granite has been removed as if a dry river bed is suddenly full from a flash flood, and with each workout the water pounds against my granite, bringing it to the surface. The closer I get to my race the more polished my granite is becoming from the volume and consitancy of my training.

I know that in the deep recesses of my mind when, 80 miles into my bike portion, Ironman has gone from novel and fun to 7 more hours of pain and suffering; it will be the granite that I have polished in the previous months that will keep me moving forward.

Everyone has this in them. Its the rock bottom. You stand on the corner of Quit St. and Excuse Lane. Your over your head. Its too much. I can't. I can't. Please someone understand. Tell me I can quit and I will.

Then you touch it. For the first time in your life you touch the granite that all the training has exposed completely and polished to a perfect shine. You see yourself in the reflection. You realize that you have an unbreakable desire in you to complete the task. To finish. The pain and blisters and cramping are still there but the granite is stronger. Unbending and unyeilding to anymore external influence and focused on the end, on its purpose for exposure.

In my case, God willing, to become an Ironman.

1 comment:

Nytro said...

quit street and excuse lane... i lived there for a while. and the skinny girl inside me cried every day.