Sunday, September 3, 2006

The touch, the feel...

Last night Mistress and I went out with some of my training partners and their wives. Wow. We're some pretty lucky guys. The wives had all done their hair, put on make up, wore nice outfits. Not the way we normally see our training partners spouses; ball caps, shorts, an old race t-shirt, standing on the side of the course cheering us on or sitting around at a pool party. We had a great time at dinner and then having a couple of cocktails at an irish pub after that.

It was part of my Training Contract with Mistress that I have neglected and I feel bad about. Regular outings, (read: date night). We are usually both so wiped or I am getting up so early that going out is second to ironman.

The other part of this weekend is that she got to sleep in this morning. An extra two hours makes a huge difference. That meant no morning training for me. Which is fine since we are getting some of the Hurricane John stuff. When its sunny here 350 days a year, I can afford to skip a morning workout when its raining. A far cry from my four hour runs in the rainy Pacific North West.

I was starting to see the stress fractures in the home with my training volume so decided to take today off of training. So I gave myself a personal challenge as important as any training goal. I want to go all day without wearing anything but cotton. Think about it. All my workout clothes and most of my daily work outfits are nylon or polyester of come kind; dri-fit shirts, running socks, nylon upper running shoes, not to mention tri tops and shorts.

No, today I am wearing my Goonies t-shirt, Old Navy khaki jeans and I pulled out my Chuck Taylor low tops (old school canvas and rubber baby!) BTW, I get more postive comments on my Goonies shirt than any other vintage or racing shirt I own. Its a classic.

It been so hot here that I don't wear blue jeans much between March and November. Wearing them last night was a treat. Normally I just wear khaki shorts or baggy running shorts. Putting on a pair last night and today is an affirmation that volume training works. I have lost close to twenty pounds this Ironman cycle.

6 comments:

Rainbow said...

You gave me a chuckle and then I just HAD to comment about the Goonies shirt. One of my all time favorite movies. I have wanted to buy the DVD, but I refuse to until the add the octopus scene back in. Not that it was the best one if the movie. It is just the principle of it all. "Hey you guys!" Classic.

Fe-lady said...

you guys got rain!? no fair! They keep promising...but I don't listen to the weathermen anymore!
Great job on the weight loss and having a date night! We reserve Friday after work for each other- beer, sushi, and whatever follows when we get home. Usually it's nothing as we are wiped from the week! ;-)

JasonWomack said...

Thanks for this update...I'm coming to PHX this week, my first visit since early spring!

I'll most likely get an after-work run in, before flying out to NY and London the next week!

Keep it up...

Chris said...

That t-shirt is awesome! And thanks for the link back to the store. I'm going to have to do some shopping today! :)

tarheeltri said...

Great movie!

Rainbow said...

Just as an update: Hubby bought Goonies last night and they have the octopus as a deleted scene. Yeah, I now can see why they cut it out. It is pretty bad, but still fun to watch.