Tuesday, July 11, 2006

WOW

I am overwhelmed at the outpouring from you people. I don't think I have recieved so much concern from any other posting.

I must say that I am doing all I can to limit any further training damage. This weekends race for me is not very important, I can finish in 3 hours or four, I could care less. I just would like to finish. I actually have no concerns over the swim. As long as I can hit my sweet spot on the bike I will be great there and then its just the run. I will walk the whole thing if I have too. I don't want too, but I will.

I read the Peter Reid article in Triathlete magazine about his retirement and how he treaded that fine line between racing to win and complete physical and mental breakdown, which he had a few times. I sometimes think I have the same desire but my arc a bit lower. I don't want to win Kona, don't even want to do Kona, but I would like to be top 10% of my AG or Clydesdale.

The one thing I won't do is hide myself. I sometimes think I am whinning or being a little bitch about my injuries but I think it more of being honest and transparent. I am what I am; a passionate, driven, no quit som'bitch.

Who is very thankful that more rational minds read this blog and give common sense to this Common Man

5 comments:

IMmike said...

hey commodore,

I've been thinking a lot about training/burnout/etc since I did a really nice job blowing myself to shreds 6 weeks before an IM. What I've learned from seeing some very fit people close up is that building real solid fitness takes years. What's more, there are no shortcuts. I think it requires patience and long term commitment. Then in the 3rd and 4th years, the real rewards show up. At that point, you'll be top 5-10% of every race you enter because you're "fitter" then 95% of the people there.

It's hard for people like us to accept that. Other experiences in life have programmed us to expect that a superior work ethic and skills will lead quickly to success. With ultra-endurance events that's just not the case.

That's why I really think in year 1, of a going-long lifestyle & training adjustment, the most important things are to stay healthy, have fun, and enjoy the people you meet and things you get to do.

Comm's said...

Excellent point Mike and based on where you and I live we have the luxury of year round training in near perfect weather.

Listening to Roman Mica's podcast with the president of WTC he said he recommend people race an IM every five years. Gulp.

I think your one year lifestyle plan is very sound BTW. I took almost six years off from triathlon training to start my business and now have come back to it.

Cliff said...

Mike made a great comment.

I ain't worry about my speed seeing ppl twice as older pass me. I realize that given enough time i would just be as fit as them.

That motivate me to train more :D

SRR said...

Injuries need to be taken seriously though!

Steven said...

Don't even concern yourself with the Top 10% finish either, Comm. You'll add un-needed stress on race day each time someone with your AG on their calf passes you...if any do.

Just race for yourself, do the best that you can ON THAT DAY, and the rest will take care of itself.