Saturday, July 22, 2006

Another time taker

Well it seems I have another conflict with my blogging now...Training Peaks. Bolder has made much ado about his new love affair with the uber-technical online training website and I suppose its my turn now.

The Machine and I have been discussing TP for awhile as a way for him to work with his sport therapy and training clients, so that they have some control over the processing of information that will allow him to better accomidate their programs. I am the guinea pig, so to speak. Better to work on a friend first and get the kinks out than look unprofessional or unprepared around your clients. And for the record he is very structured and professional around his clients.

So of course I have spent way, way, WAY, too much time going through this mac-daddy system. Good lord it does a lot. After about 2 hours I am finally starting to get the swing of things. I am public on the site and you can go find me, but I am not going to link it for another couple weeks until I get comfortable with my speed and protocols.

The next step in this process is to add all my routes and training maps, create my 'favorite food' log and get the scanner. The scanner is a neat little tool. It fits on your keychain and when you eat something with a UPC code, you scan it and it stores the nutritional information imbedded in the code- did you know UPC's did that? I didn't. Anyway you download to your TP meal log and it downloads all your food stored in the scanner, you just make a quick edit on portion size. Right now I am just doing it manually buy looking things up through the index, a bit challenging but not difficult.

Participated in my first Polar retail clinic today, a stipulation of my sponsorship with the company. Obstensibly I was just there to assist the other Polar athlete who's turn it was, but he ahhh...he ahhh...had a 'hachet in his head', so to speak and I just sort of took over. It went really well. A local news channel was doing weather reports at the LBS and I happened to be stupidly standing behind her drinking a Starbucks Grande Drip...dosey, dosey, doe, waiting for people to arrive. I happened to walk to the side and saw myself off the tv tape delay. Doubt I made any impression on people watching but I was wearing my Polar shirt, so thats exposure for them.

As per my agreement with myself I will not be running today or riding outside, too flipping hot and I am still limping. If anything I will get on the trainer this afternoon and churn out some watts.

Gotta keep my Training Peaks calorie defiecit in the red- (i.e. not gaining weight)

2 comments:

mipper said...

Comm, have you considered a bone scan for your shins? Really, it just might be worth it. If nothing else to put to rest if there is a fracture or not. You still shouldn't be limping if it is just really bad shin splints. Just a suggestion for you.

Bolder said...

no need to thank me, i'm here to help.

besides, now that the TdF is over, you needed a new hobby...

or, was that me?