Monday, July 3, 2006

Vertical Man emerges

No not Superman, though I did see the movie yesterday and it was great. No I got an e-mail from an old friend. Vertical Man for those of you not familiar, is a true friend of the Triathlete Alliance and one of our original compatriots. He, Wil and Shelley last July did a whole bunch of training together for Steelhead. Some of IronWil's best writing is about her SEBA outings, but read the whole month of July to truly fall in love with her prose and to get a feel for hardcore 1/2 Iron training.

VM has done some relocating and some personal introspections and promises to be back online soon, charming us with his hardcore, high speed training and quite amazing cooking reportoire. Here's VM in his own words, with permission to post from him.

Things are going OK in Omaha. The new job is awesome - the best ever. The city is growing on me though I still REALLY miss Chicago. In fact I'm back in the Great Suburban Outback writing this, visitng friends and family over the July 4 holiday.
Training is one thing that has really suffered. I talked to CoachKaryn yesterday and decided to defer my Ironman dreams to, maybe, IM WI 2007 or IM Cour d"Alene 2007. I got way behind the training curve and the looming IM WI 2006 deadline had just become another major stress in my life. Triathlons should be fun and rewarding, not something you dread and that's sorta where I was. I'm still doing Steelhead in early August and a few other races, but not IM this year.
I'm starting to get into a training community in Omaha - swimmers, bikers and runners - so that should help. I'll be back to the blogging gig before too long. I don't yet have a computer at home in Omaha and don't want to blog from work for obvious reasons.
Hope to see you back soon VM, your still one of the best out there.

3 comments:

IMmike said...

I think that's really good. Often we lose the perspective of how triathlon is supposed to fit in with the rest of our life. As a result, bad things happen everywhere. I've pretty much decided that when I get out of grad school, I'm going to take a year off from triathlon to get the next phase of my life sorted. Then hopefully, I can jump back in.

mipper said...

yippee! i have miss VM so. thanks for updating us.

Wil said...

This was totally cool of you Com, thank for the kind words and for reminding me how amazing last summer was. I hope VM can make the first official WIBA, especially since he's the co-founder of the thing! :)