Saturday, July 29, 2006

In Case Of Emergancy...


As I sit and ponder my next post I felt compelled to ask each of you to buy a road ID today. They are $20 or less and come in a bracelet, shoe strap, shoe pouch, ankle strap or dog tag. I wear my black ankle band on every training event and most races.

I can not stress enough the need for emergancy responders to have your name and contact information along with medical history and a means to contact your family or friends immediately upon reaching you.

I have run into several people who have nothing to do with outdoor sports who are quite interested in a rugged and classy means of important information particularly regarding allergies to medicines and medical conditions like say a heart attack, heat casualty, allergic to penicillian, take certain meds, etc.

They are also quite fashionable, if I do say so myself. The dog tags have dozens of quotes and symbols you can add to the side opposite the information. You can add personal slogans and quotes if you have no need for all five lines on any of their products. So do yourself a favor, do your family a favor and link over there this minute and buy one as a special Shiny Thing for the weekend.

4 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

Just a thought - these are also good for kids that are too young to reliably tell someone their full name and phone number (or that can't really talk, like my Elisabeth). I need to get some for my girls!!

Comm's said...

Excellent point Nancy, I have one for Mighty Mo, except he at the age were he keeps taking it off.

Bolder said...

as an alternative, i always carry my health card on me. good in any emergency room nationwide.

and of course, i always take a black magic marker, and write my blood type on my ankle.

it's war out there!

Siren said...

I love my RoadID and have been trying to get all my friends and their kids to get them.
When my best friend was a kid, she was actually hit by a car when cycling and was unconscious... it was a fluke one of the paramedics was one of our friend's dad, so he was able to identify her and contact her parents. When I see my nieces and nephews riding around without helmets or IDs I just cringe.

The bonus is that, in a pinch, the ankle model will also hold a timing chip : )