Monday, July 17, 2006

Race Report #4 2006: Mountain Man Triahtlon

This race is billed as, "The Toughest Race You'll Ever Love." I must say it is in a beautiful location and though support is minimal they overcome non-traditional racing obstacles (like keeping the freeway open during the race) with precision execution. Mountain Man has a sprint, olympic and half iron distances.

There were about eight of us who drove up for the event, most of us staying at a gorgeous three story 'cabin'. Other than two of us, everyone brought their wives and kids.

Pre-Race
One of the unique aspects of this course, from my point of view, is that the bike is out and back east of TA and the run out and back west of TA along a four lane country freeway, which remains open during the race. The sponsors were adament about the fact that triathletes will be running and cycling along the ample shoulder so do not park on it, rather pull out into the grass. Look folks I drive a brand new Dodge Charger there is no way I am parallel parking on a slope on the side of the road, so I and John arrived early for a primo location in the parking lot.

Swim
I wish someone had told me we had to walk 200 yards to from TA to the boat ramp for the swim because I am a tender foot, next year I am bringing cheap shower shoes. The wetsuit swim was in 71 degrees and though not the clearest of water, tasted very good. The orange buoy's were perhaps to far apart but clearly marked for when you needed to make a turn.

BOOM. The gun goes off for my wave and I really had no emotion. The first race where I was completely ambivelant about the start, I hit the start button on my S625X and walked into the water like I was crossing the street. The drama was all out in front of me so I was completely alone until about 200 meters into the swim when a foot hits my hand. I look up and its Hardcore. Of all the people that has to run into me in the swim, its him. The rest of the 1500 meters was just methodical work. I didn't zigzag, a first for me in a race (though I did sight wrong a few times causing me to veer wide but on course) and I passed someone in the swim, another first. The last 300 meters I got a little tired, still a bit run down I suppose and the low oxygen but I never stopped swimming freestyle or had to tread.

After the race, I could hear people talking about how they had panic attacks or saw people freaking out. I didn't see people freaking out but saw a lot of breast strokers and treaders trying to catch their breath. John mentioned that he had a panic moment in the first 200 meters and had to talk to himself to keep going. The lack of oxygen plays tricks on you.

Bike
The Machine mentioned that he did this race last year but didn't mention the hills the last four miles of the out and back 25 mile course. Well he did, but as he put it, "There's some hills but I can't remember how bad they are since Ironman training kinda warps your preception of what hard is." At mile 8 as I looked at my computer and saw 5.2 mph and 48 rpm, I seriously thought about getting off my bike and walking. Luckily I was reeling in a cyclist and pased two on the hill, so I stayed upright. The rest of the four-odd miles to the turnaround were moderate rollers and then had to do the reverse to get back which meant another go on the hills.

As I came out of a downhill with just a few miles left and began getting some pressure back into my pedal stroke, I noticed a twinge in my left shin and calf. My legs were not all that tired, the headwind did not help but I was well nutritioned; I prayed it was not my shin splint flaring up already. I should have prayed harder but overall I was happy with my ride considering the course and the elevation.

Run
The 6 mile out and back run course is basically broken into four distinct zones. Zone 1 and 4 are flat 1.5 mile runs along the freeway, very nice. Zone 2 is a 1.6 mile monster uphill that only gets steeper as the climb continues. Zone 3 is the downhill of that beast. It can be run all the way to the top if you are a strong runner, but most people walked at least part of it.

The Machine, (my chriopractor), and I had already discussed putting a compression wrap on my lower leg in T2. Wrap applied, I left my TA and took my first steps towards the run course. Step one. Intense and instant pain. Step two. More of the same. I was five feet from my bike, still in transtion and I felt like I was running on a bloody stump. The pain was never ending. Each time my left foot struck the ground was torture.

I stopped only a few times before reaching the hill. The pain was ever present and having drove the hill twice before the race, I knew what was coming. I tried my best to shuffle up the course, each step more painful than the last. I was in pain. I started breathing very hard from the exerition at elevation, my leg...it all started to become to much. I started to tear up, finally 'Coming to Jesus' on that hill and seeing my entire race season crumble with each passing step.

Triathletes can recognize pain in others, usually because at some point they have or are having the same issues. Running with the wrap around my leg and the grimmace on my face elicited some very encouraging comments which helped me get to the top. I stopped a quarter mile from the top to talk to John who was coming back down. I couldn't stay on my feet, my leg was failing under me.

My pace going down the hill was slower than when I went up. My left leg, now useless below the knee was dragging on the pavement as I picked it up, scratching the gravel on the road. A sure sign that inflammation had locked my ankle up as well as everything else.

Stationed along the hill were Jordan, 13 and Nate,10. They belong to two of my training partners and were using my camera to take pictures of the team while on the hill. Seeing them and hearing their cheers at my worst made me proud to be a part of this group. The hill had some switchbacks but the boys just bushwhacked and met me at the bottom. Had it not been for them I would have been a a bigger wreck emotionally. I shuffled along at 12 minute miles, occassionally stopping to grab my shin when an exceptional spasm rocked me.

A half mile from the finish the boys mom's were waiting for me to come by so they could take their pictures. As I limped by with my two raving fans, a third joined in for the final push, Kallan, Jordans 10 year old sister and an irongirl. Their support and encouragement kept my spirits high and the pain at bay and as we neared the finish. Triathletes already done with their race and had watched me limp along the run the course and saw the grit of my face with each step, applauded me and shouted encouragement. A hundred yards from the finish, my team mates and friends stood in line and gave me high-5's and shouted my name. All the shouting and encouragemnet was surreal, like a movie. With the finishers arch all to ourselves I asked my rag tag team of three to go through with me for the picture and the final chirp of the chip mat. We all held hands and lifted them up high.

The Finish
We cross the finish line and I am handed a race towel. I just ran 1.5 hot miles since the last water station and I really wanted a water not a stupid towel. I knew I had water on my bike so I shuffled back to my gear. The TA was almost empty since most of the racers were sprinters who were long since gone. I sat on my race bucket in realitive quiet and as the enormity of everything flooded over me, I became emotional and cried into my hard won finishers towel. I had never cried after a race.

I collected my bike and my gear and limped back to my car. Some team mates came by to find me, make sure I was okay. Now that I was no longer running, the swelling really started and my leg felt like it was on fire. As I was helped back to our little team area, I was lucky enough to sandwich my leg in ice and eventually get some massage. Now surrounded by my closest friends I heard their tales of success and how most of them did PR's in their olympic distance.

And Finally...
The Machine handed me a beer and examined my leg, he looked at me like a doctor does when he has bad news he doesn't want to give and told me no more running for a month, zone 1 & 2 cycling and swimming only. A month. 30 days. 25% of my remaining time before Ironman Florida. It was hard for him to say and hard for me to hear. He is an ironman. He is my training partner. He is my team mate. He is my coach. He is my sport therapist by profession. He knows the stakes for me this year and ever the optimist tells me I can now focus on swimming and taking twenty minutes off my IM swim time.

15 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

Whoa! Great report, and congratulations on kicking that altitude! Take care of those legs, you want to use them a few more years!!

And if 12 min/miles is just shuffling, well, shuffling will get you to the finish line at IMFL. Shuffle if you need to!

Comm's said...

If I zombie the swim and bike all I have to do is 16 minute miles for Florida. All...as if. I will be posting some follow up stuff for team mates and friends short and will relate the abridged 'Tale Of John the Ironman'

Flatman said...

Dude. You are already an Ironman in my book. That finish took some serious guts. Thanks for putting it all out here for us all to see. Your "family" loves you and supports you 100%. Get that leg better, so I can cheer you on in November!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Way to finish! Your run sounds so grueling, even with the super scream team. Sorry to hear about your calf, though. Working on your swim...the Machine sounds like a funny guy.

Cliff said...

There is still time for IM Florida. Biggest concern is the run. If u are in pain while runnning right now. It will be a big problem between now and IM. Good luck.

tarheeltri said...

Great report, though I have a feeling your Ironman report will be better!

You're really going to have to re-evaluate your entire training and nutrition regimen at this point. Remember, you can still injure yourself on the bike or in the pool if you go too hard. Don't let your diet get away from you while you're letting your leg recover. In fact, I would focus on body comp now more than ever. Being as light as possible on race day will help.

My 2 cents.

Rainbow said...

Comm, I know the pain of running miles when you are in that much pain. Did that a few months ago. I had to really lay off the running for a few weeks and that was the hardest thing. Please think rationally about it, and not push it again soon, because your body, needs that time to heal. Not trying to tell you what to do, just friendly, experienced advice. Yeah it is sucky timing, but it will make your Ironman accomplishment that more important to you.

Take care bud.

SRR said...

FANTASTIC!!

Bolder said...

again, you raced with attitude and altitude, and you represented.

SLP no more -- future Ironman.

train hard, train smart -- you'll be ready for Florida.

White Salamander said...

Thumbs up to you amigo. An inspiring finish to be sure! You'll be ready for Florida. I have no doubts.

Tri-Angle said...

12 minute miles? Brother that's what I do on a good day! Way to gut it out Comm. Good job

"Smash" said...

I have been meaning to email you about the supplement you take and I read your report. That is tough and I know how you feel having my legs lock up on me at an Olympic I did last year. Tough but in ways the saying "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" is the truth. Mentally you should be prepared for IMFL. Good luck with Rehab and continue the good fight.

"Smash" said...

I have been meaning to email you about the supplement you take and I read your report. That is tough and I know how you feel having my legs lock up on me at an Olympic I did last year. Tough but in ways the saying "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" is the truth. Mentally you should be prepared for IMFL. Good luck with Rehab and continue the good fight.

Steven said...

Congrats on a very gritty performance, Comm.

Take the month off and work on the bike and swim. It won't be time wasted. Then ramp slowly and listen to your leg.

You'll be good to go come November!

Chris said...

Gutsy performance, man. Take care of that leg and get it healed up as best you can. MUCH better to show up a little undertrained than injured at all.