Thursday, July 6, 2006

okay. not as planned

The workout did not go quite as planned. For the ride my quads were killing me. I think my seat has been adjusted lower or dropped somehow. They swelled up really quickly. At the first stop about ten miles in, I unhooked my cleats and straightened my legs out. I immediately felt this rush of blood and I damn near passed out! I lowered the bike and myself to the ground. After a few minutes I looked up and everything was white washed except the road infront of me, that lasted about five minutes then cleared up and I could see again. It was hot and very humid for Phoenix which may have also contributed.

The swim actually went okay. I was slower than normal by about two minutes. I only did one loop, a half mile.

One the run, I immediately realized I have no legs. A little shin issue, a little cramping issue, throw some lack of nutrition in there, 102 degrees, 40% humidity (its normally 3% right now), no training for the last week and I couldn't run to save my life. I would get about two hundred yards and go back to my 16 minute mile walk along the rolling hills. My HR was pretty low, mid 130's but there was no gas to move the legs. None. So that is an issue, I gotta be able to run.

There is alway something to work on. The shins getting better but the legs are still very tired. I think I will try to move my seat up a couple mm tomorrow and go for a short ride to see what happens.

I would be interested in anyone else who has experienced a sudden focus of blood and lactic acid in the quads while riding and what you did to fix it. I am not the most knowledgable cyclist.

3 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

Um, dear Comm, the bigger question seems to be why someone smart like you, who has incurred heat stroke in the past, is choosing to train in 102 degrees, 40% humidity instead of during cooler times of day? This does not seem like a healthy strategy to me. Average maximum temperature in Panama City Beach on November 4th is 74*F. I'm just sayin'....

Comm's said...

It does seem a bit incongruent doesn't it. I think the bigger issue for me is consistancy. Right now I am not so much concerned with speed as consistancy. To answer your unspoken question...yes it doesn't seem healthy...they heat advisorys run from 10am to 8pm. There really isn't a whole lot of time to train in 'perfect' weather since the overnight lows are high 80's and by 6am its already mid 90's.

mipper said...

oh gosh Comm... it sounds like you need some more rest or to just go at it a bit easier. maybe some more indoor training at your club. i know you want to do outdoor as much as possible, but in this kind of weather? just a thought.