Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Damage Control

I have mentioned that I am official taking 30 days off from running. As hard as it was for me to hear it, it was hard for my doctor to say it, which really was hard since he is my running partner.

Its been 72 hours since Mountain Man and the leg is still swollen and painful. I am still limping. Had e-stem, accupuncture and a one hour massage Tuesday night to try to get some rehab going, haven't worked out since the race.

Today I am going to try to connect with a swim coach that comes highly recommended. The goal is that the four hours a week I would put into running over the next month I will instead use to get one on one feedback on improving my stroke.

From all concerned the shape of my stroke above water is good and the body alignment okay, but its the under the water stroke that is not getting any power transfer into faster movement. I will aslo guess, from feedback, that I am fairly flat in the water and don't roll enough.

I am sure there are lots of things to improve on.

Right now I can swim 2.4 miles in open water. Endurance is not an issue. Time is the issue. Based on my last two open water swims in a race I cover a mile in 50 minutes. That is S-L-O-W. It doesn't feel slow, in fact I feel quite comfortable with that pace but it can and will be most certainly faster in the next four months. Thus the coach.

I firmlly believe I can take 10-12 minutes off my mile time. 20% improvement. Which is really not that much when considering how much extra effort I am putting out in water. Minimal adjustments in body alignment, head position, arm rotation and drag control can affect 20% improvement. Endurance will go down as I retrain my body to new mechanics but just like anything else, volume will help win out in the end.

For cycling, The Machine and I are going to start using Spinervals in his rehab clinic before the swims on Thursday. This will replace the hill repeats. I will be doing some of my own riding during the week staying in Zone 1 and 2.

John, our resident genius, is working on a new short course for the weekend rides. We are trying to find flat loops of 25 miles so that any ability can join in and not be in the boonies if something goes wrong. Also since I am the only one doing an IM between now and next Aprils IMAZ, my training will be longer and its important to find a way for me to get in extra loops early before the regular ride without me having to change zip codes or speaking Spanish in case I get into some drama.

The runs are out. Not even hiking or power walking. I may try the ellipticals at the gym since they are almost zero impact on shin splints and mimic running. I also am going to be looking into an aqua jogger. I have no clue about them, only that everyone says to use it, so maybe I will do a 'How To' post on it in the future.

This...this is going to be an interesting mix of influence getting me to Florida. The train up I did earlier this year for IMAZ (though I did not race it) seemed so straight forward, it was just a methodic following of a good plan. Now it seems I (we) are working on a "lets see what happens" basis.

I say we because I am not in this alone. I have half a dozen training partners who are as motiviated for my Ironman success as I am and they want me to be strong for my chance.

13 comments:

bunnygirl said...

I think that's wise of you to take some time off running, and it sounds like you have a plan. Having a plan is the key to keeping from feeling like a slacker.

WRT the aquajogging-- avoid the pool if you can, and do open water. It's much less boring. It can even be kind of fun sometimes-- trying to chase ducks and things like that.

Flo said...

A good plan Comm. Don't push the running, it will come.

I've been taking a stroke clinic and it's amazing how much little tweaks can save you. In 2 weeks I cut my number of strokes from 26 to 21 for the pool length. And that's just 1 hour a week. It's the little things :)

Nancy Toby said...

Sounds like a great plan to keep progressing despite some bends in the road along the way! Keep it up! That's great that you have good support from training buddies!

Bolder said...

a solid plan. i like your support system -- theses guys impress me.

tarheeltri said...

I like your plan. Working on the swim mechanics is a great idea. At your pace, it's definitely mechanics that is slowing you down. When you get it right it's going to be like a little light bulb coming on above your head. I took nearly 10 seconds off my hundred overnight just by adjusting my mechanics. Rehab your leg and keep healthy and you'll finish for sure!

IMmike said...

sounds like a good plan commodore. I've found that IM Training is really a team game. I had a lot of people invested in my success for IMFrance. I'm sure they will be there for Florida as well.

Nytro said...

sorry to hear about the shins. if only someone - anyone - had advised you to take it easy and not race Mountain Man.

but, you're right... this is a great excuse to work on the swim. i know you'll do great in Florida... just remember that you have to listen to your body more than you listen to your competitive spirit.

SRR said...

I'm sure as difficult as it is for you do that...it is for the best. Enjoy your time off from running.
:-)

Cliff said...

Smart move..rest that leg up. U can build your areobic base by being on the bike.

Tri-Angle said...

I'm gonna have to watch my back now with you and the swimming thing. Shit, now I'll be LAST in EVERY event Comm!
Damn your leg.
You know we're behind you man....See ya Saturday

Comm's said...

For the record, Nytro and I spoke for half an hour on the phone about whether or not I should do the Mountain Man triathlon. We decided I would not do it, went home and felt good about my decision. Mistress convinced me to go the next morning.

Kewl Nitrox said...

I sincerely think you will get stronger thru the 30 days of break from running. I was reading about some professional Triathletes that take 30 days off a year to reccuperate and "nameless aches and pains" seem to disappear.

Sorry Comm, but I have to agree that 1 mile in 50 mins is slow, because that's about my pace. :) Swim drills helps heaps, and I am getting quicker, but just as I was getting cocky, some old guy jumped into the pool last night and lapped me so many times that I busted my left shoulder trying to keep up. :( I am sure the swim coach stroke corrections will help heaps.

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

You have a great little rehab group around you. Forget about making lemonade from lemons, you're going strait for margaritas! The intensive swim training sounds intriguing. The faster you get out of the water, the sooner you start on race day nutrition. Great idea.