Friday, August 31, 2007

Connectors

A man stuck his head into my office looking for a bathroom. Funny way to start a conversation. Turns out he loves my office which is wall to wall dry erase boards for me to track the stats of my company by person and statistic. He is a motivational private football coach with 5,000 kids he works with. Tells me my office looks like his minus the projector. I invited him to look through the door on the other side of my office which enters a 1,500 square foot training/conference room with a 42 inch flat screen plasma t.v. and ten foot projector system run through my laptop.

Turns out he and I not only went to the same university but knew many of the same guys. He played for Washington State and I watched them lose and win in the Palouse (where the school is).

In my line of work, I figure myself more a special teams coach and mentor than businessman. My other partners and key employees handle the production aspect; the offense, defense, catching and tackling of the day to day operations.

After several minutes of speaking of the past and in jargon that left the administrator in my office head spinning, we parted ways. My already good day, getting better.

Sometimes it's just the random chance meeting of people that can make your hour better, brighten your day or heck even change your life. Like talking to someone in a line and soon after you have the job of your dreams. Like bumping into someone and a year later you're married to them.

Lets keep bumping into each other.




4 comments:

Bolder said...

you're the real deal Comm.

from your posts, to your recorded voicemail message...

it's inspiring.

The Big Cheese said...

Boy this is the truth.

Di said...

random bumpings... love them and hope they never end. I too find them to always be what is needed at that moment and for many years to come. They brighten so many aspects of life. Love your posts Comm. Thank you so much!

Mike said...

Great post Comm....thumbs up to the awesome "random bumps" along our journey!