Friday, August 10, 2007

what did I just write?

Okay I just did a terribly slow and painful 10 miles, averaging a 14:45 pace. But my HR was right on the money.

It was 105 degrees and there was no humidity in some areas and others areas next to the lake were quite high. I suffered. I walked the last three miles. I had my bug out point across Mill Ave. Bridge, which is the structure just over the IM swim start but decided, as I usually do, to finish the distance instead of using some common sense...I am ready for you Nancy. I deserve it.

I had brought my buff headgear and with the available fountains soaked it good and wore it on my neck and around my head.

Its a couple hours later and I still am not quite right. I took in 8 gels, 400 calories per hour and I drank over 80 oz out there but my ears are plugged and I fell asleep in my ice bath for 15 minutes until Mistress scared me awake.

Needless to say I need to eat up and lay down. Tomorrow I will be taking it extremely easy on my three hour ride, it starts early so it will only be about 95 at the finish. Where I was considering getting in about a half iron distance I will now look for about 48 miles.

I told you it would be a wild ride this time.

9 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

246 days to go.

Really, 6 miles is _still_ a strong starting point.

Do I hear 4 miles?

Bigun said...

hind sight is 20-20, but 10 was probably a bit far for the first long run...making me feel weak and girly with my 2nd long run today planned for only 9 miles....

Nancy Toby said...

Oops, sorry, commented on the wrong item. Anyway, may I respectfully suggest that it might be time to set some objective standards on when you train/compete and when you delay, since deciding "on the fly" doesn't seem to work so well?

http://www.zunis.org/how_hot_is_hot_how_safe_is_safe.htm

http://www.quantico.usmc.mil/Sentry/StoryView.aspx?SID=1160

21stCenturyMom said...

What did I say about the ice?? Hmmm????!! Your internal thermostat is not exactly in fighting shape so I agree with Nancy that you need some outside advice on how to handle that.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Hope that 3 hour ride went well! Eat, drink & rest.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

105 hot is 'too hot"! So is 95!
I KNOW you have immediate access to a few hundred dreadmills...

Buck up, put on your IM FL finisher shirt, hop onto a 'mill by the mirror AND the air conditioner vent, crank up some iTunes and re-live all the fun we had last November... Little Mo so adorable and proud, Mistress 20 yards from the finish waiting for you and so happy!; Mai Tais with your friends...
I know you can do it! Treads are dreadful, but they beat passing out on that melting hot asphalt.
;-)
But I must say I am glad to read that you watched your heartrate and adjusted accordingly.

The Big Cheese said...

careful.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

triathlon: If it were easy, they'd call it cycling

(I saw it on a t-shirt, so it must be true, right?)

I like ice in the bra myself - not on the head where it will mess me up. but I suppose if you don't need a bra then you're up the creek.

cooler weather is coming - this will get funner. it can only get better from here, right?

jp said...

10 miles in 105 heat. That's a bit extreme, no?

I'm all for pushing limits, but that, to me, is beyond what is reasonable and downright dangerous.

I'd get on a treadmill if it was that hot out.