Friday, August 17, 2007

In a good place

My ten miler today was so much better than last Friday. 6am instead of 1pm. 85 degrees instead of 105 degrees. Cloudy instead of sunny. Almost no walking, certainly no death marches. Today I finished the same distance 50 minutes faster.

While using the bathroom at Tempe Town Lake before I started I watched the ASU Army ROTC cadets warm up for PT. One of the cadets jogged over and here is the conversation we had, it came from me naturally but I rolled it around in my head the first five miles out there wondering if I blew his mind.

Cadet: Those bathrooms open Sir?

Me: Hooah

Cadet: How far are you running today?

Me: ten. How bout you guys?

Cadet: Two. A slow two, some of them are not in very good shape.

Me (as I put in my headphones): Do you see those dorms over there? (pointing to campus) Those people will no idea of the sacrifices you will make while they sleep under their covers. The very liberties and freedoms that they have as students and Americans is because of people like you're trying to become and I once was. The people you run with today are no different than those in the dorms or the people you will lead tomorrow; you have to use motivation and leadership to get them to the finish line of two miles today and surviving combat tomorrow and freedom forever.

Cadet: Wow...Thanks. That was awesome.

Me: Only if you remember it. Have a good run.

Cadet: You too.

It seems over the top and maybe it was, but his mind wasn't right for his peers, weaker or not they are a unit. He is only as fast as the slowest.

Many, many years ago, almost twenty, I was struggling on a timed platoon run. A dear mentor of mine pulled me aside and whispered something in my ear that I still hear dozens of times a day, often when I need it the most. I thought it a few times already today on my run.

He whispered, "Do you have the heart?"

Its something I ask myself everyday, every workout, every race, every decision in my life it seems. It has defined a path in my life and caused me to do some very full hardy things, (IMAZ while sick for example) Do I have the heart...

...but thats a post for another day.

15 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Thanks for addressing the cost of freedom to the young guy. As one who entered USAF basic training 39 years ago yesterday, I appreciate the time you took to provide value and perspective over and above what started out to be a small talk kind of conversation.

Laurie said...

I sure hope you blew his mind!

Nice job on the 10 miler.

I believe you have the heart. I will definitely ask myself the same question when I'm struggling. Thanks!

rueschmike said...

"Do you have the heart?" What a great motto to live by.

Flo said...

Wow Comm, that was great!! I had a drill sargent who used to yell that at us, "DO YOU HAVE THE HEART???" I still hear that in my head when things get tough. And guess what? I do. And you do even more!!

Comm's said...

Funny.

Sgt. Hawk was a drill instructor and later on due to his influence on me I became one too. In fact what was strange about this interaction was that as a DI, I spent a year as ROTC cadre at Washington State University where I supervised morning PT. I suppose I understood the importance of molding his mind early in the program.

LBTEPA said...

I hope you do write that post on 'heart' - but then most of your posts are about that, even if not as a specific topic.
Thanks for another inspiring post :)

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

holy crap, comms. you just blew my mind!

Tony said...

50 min difference, that is huge. I am going to Tempe Town Lake tomorrow morning to try it out.

tri-mama said...

Good man Comm, good man

Mike said...

I'm glad I stopped by your blog today...i needed that post. Excellent stuff Comm- i'm sure that cadet was feeling very inspired after running into you.

*Do you have the heart?*
I do..I'll be keeping this one close.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

I love that you said that.
When I did the CA 1/2 Ironman a couple times (back when it was just called Ralph's), we rode through Camp Pendelton and the Marines were all handing out water and Gatorade to us. I tried thanking them all for this awesome life I am living, but it was just making me choke up, so I eventually just said thanks.
But I am grateful. Even if my good friend just got called BACK to Iraq last week. He already served 15 months and came home to a wife that had left him for the neighbor.
It's a kind of commitment and honor and patriotism that I can only imagine having.
I thank all of you.

The Big Cheese said...

Com,
Every so often you will pull out a post that rocks me when I need it. Thanks again.

Brigitte said...

Thank you for all you did, thank you for taking the time to share your wisdom, thank you for defending liberty. You are a great motivation.

Rachel said...

Wow! That's quite a speech you gave him.

By the way, I would love anything you have to say about IMAZ as that will be my first IM in April '08.

P.S. San Diego has made me soft. We think running in 85 degree weather is hot.

Comm's said...

rachel, your comment came through as no-reply comment. Send my your email and I will give a thorough account.