Monday, August 6, 2007

Sit Rep

Here is the SITuation REPort for last week.

I took my baseline tests and started to apply them to my training over the weekend. My goal in all my training is to stay between 138-148 bpm. Saturday, I got in a 60 minute OW swim with each of three 1000 yard laps coming in at 20 minutes each. HR was right on the money. Plus ten minutes of warm up and cool down. The a 30 minute run which was hard to stay below 148. It was a hilly course and walked briskly up most of the hills to stay compliant. Average speed was about 11:28 per mile. Which I felt was slow but in the BIG PICTURE would be a perfect pace for me in my Ironman (5:02 marathon).

Sunday was a two hour ride along what I consider a very flat course. I have not ridden two hours since I think Ironman. In any regard, the first 90 minutes it was hard to get my HR up over 138 which I thought was good and bad. But my speed was 19 mph and my cadence 93 so I did what I could with a couple of surges. The last 30 minutes I got fatigued and performance numbers dropped but sat firmly in my HR zone.

I think the hardest part of zone training is that I will not be in the same spot in the pack that I usually am and will take some shit for it. Already have. On Saturday I swam 20 minutes longer and then ran as opposed to riding to the end of the road at Tortilla Flats, which is a monster hill profile and know I would ride zone 4/5 the whole way up.

My weight this morning is 201 and my BF% is 20.5%. Lets watch those numbers drop. And again these numbers are indicative of coming off a 9 week off season. Sorry Bigun, if things go as planned I will have to burn my Clyde card next Monday.

Tomorrow I list my Ironman Goals for Arizona 08

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend of training. Keep it up!

Fumo Santo said...

Great Job Comm.

I've been working on my zone training as well, and I feel the same way you do about the run. I feel like I'm training slow, however my pace goal for IM is right were you are at 11:30. Sometimes it feels like I'm walking at that pace, but on the other hand, it feels like I can run all day.

Good start with the weight. I just about threw my scale out the window today, for I'm sitting at 193 with 24% BF. Ideally I'd like to be closer to 180. We'll see what happens over the course of 8 months!

Keep up the good work!

tarheeltri said...

Yeah, so how was the diet this week? You didn't pig out after tht two-hour ride did you?

Phoenix said...

Man, base training bites. At least for me - I have a slow complex, so its so hard to force myself to slow down - you're doing awesome, though - keeping it in the zone, going long, all that good stuff. Keep it up!

Andy said...

It is soooo on!

I have done very little HR training, but the few times I have experimented with it (thus far), it is almost impossible to do on a run during a brick workout. Props to you!!!

Like you stated, it takes great control to train in your zones, especially when you are in group settings.

Murtha...

Bigun said...

Oh NO! Well, actually, congrats to losing Clyde status (early) - it's a goal we all should aspire to. Big props to staying in your zone...with the heat lately I've had to walk a couple times to bring my HR back into compliance - but I run alone, so it's easy. We could pretty much train together - our HR's and paces are very much alike.