Friday, August 3, 2007

Health Goals

Part of the education from my recent baseline tests has prompted me to be held accountable to my nutrition. I know what my ability's are and what I can accomplish on my own, (I did win a physique change contest at work), but I also recognize what my weaknesses are. I am but a Common Man.

Now of course I remind you good readers that I took just over two months off from structured training. Now I am going to drop about 25 pounds in the next 90 days. I weigh 202 pounds +/- a pound depending on the scale. Its kept my Cylde creed. At Ironman Florida I weighed 192. I really do believe that I not only will hit below 180 pounds but then maintain it between Halloween and Valentines Day if not continue to drop weight depending on how my lean body mass and body fat percentage morph during the loss of weight. Getting down to and most importantly maintaining 175 pounds would be a perfect execution in this category.

Based on my testing I will ingest 2100 calories a day, not including the nutrition I take in during exercise. This means if I go on a 3 hour ride and take in 1500 calories, I don't count that against the 2100.

I don't want to drop so much weight that I begin to get fatigued or lose power, or go into the race in a depleted state, just for the sake of being at a certain poundage. I want to be in a position to lose the weight in a reasonable time frame and then maintain the weight while continuing to build speed and endurance through the most important part of the training phase.

The point of dropping the weight and maintaining it through the holidays or continuing to drop till the taper in April, is to get as lean as possible thereby increasing my weight to power ratio. Also being leaner with my current abilities will make me faster and more efficient.

Part of the advice I have been given is to increase my nutrition on my runs and cycling. Almost doubling it in my cycling and almost tripling it in my running. I am basing this on performing at least 90 minutes of exercise. I certainly don't need to eat normally through the day then eat 300 calories over a one hour run. Bit of an overkill there since my body has plenty of fat and glycogen stores.

So I will attempt to put out some numbers on a weekly basis or so, some of you may need to nudge me in the comment section though. I am reasonably consistent at tracking my energy in & energy out but often 'miss the forest for the trees'. If you get my drift.

2 comments:

Bolder said...

commit to train the way you will race...

you've got a great headstart to learn how to fuel your body optimally...

NUDGE

Laurie said...

Sounds like a good goal to me.

Can we kick you in the ass when you need a nudge? ;)