Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Ironman Goals 2008

Still continuing in the vein of applying my baseline tests for RMR and VO2, I have some very specific goals for Ironman Arizona next year. These are based on windows of time and performance.

A good race.
1:30 hour swim (2:08 per 100 yd)
6:30 hour bike (17.23 mph)
5:30 hour run (12:35 pace)
20 minutes of combined transition.
Total time, roughly 13:50 hours.
Under 14 hours is a good race.

A perfect race.
1:15 hour swim (1:47 per 100 yd)
6 hour bike (18.66 mph)
5 hour run (11:27 pace)
15 minutes of combined transition.
Total time, roughly 12.50 hours.
Under 13 hours is a perfect race.

When dealing with time on race day, its a gross motor skill. Most of us are not trying to beat any one person, nor beat any one minute of the clock. I have created windows of opportunity based on beating hours on the clock. Obviously a perfect race would include any clock time that includes 12. It doesn't matter if its 12:15 or 12:59.

I mentioned not long ago, capacity versus potential. I have accomplished each of my perfect race times in individual practices or previous races. I have roughly 8 months to improve each discipline and put them all together.

None of my goals in any way affects the overall desire to simply complete a course that I was unable to complete a few months ago. Finishing and having fun are my over riding goals of any race. The fact that I am holding myself to a higher accountability this time around is very much about reaching a potential in me that I know is there. A stretching of my stress envelop which will enable me to endure more in the future.

The break I am taking this year in racing is very much a "preparatory" step in my periodization cycle. Ironman next year is not my only race for 2008. I look at my racing season not in terms of when my 'A' race is or when the weather gets bad but in terms of forecasting the races I want and how long my body and mind can stay attuned to keeping the burning desire in me.

I am looking at a racing season of about 12 months bookmarked by PF Chang in January 2008 and 2009, unless I sign up for another early season Ironman in 09. That means with going on-season this week I will not go off-season again for another 18 months, the same amount of time my last season lasted.

13 comments:

Fumo Santo said...

Well said.

I think you've detailed some very realistic and attainable goals there. Whereas I'd just like to have fun and finish this year, I've calculated a sub 14 finish goal for myself (but I'll take what I can get).

I hope to see you out there!!

Nancy Toby said...

Comm,
With your history of heat stroke and pushing yourself past the point of exhaustion, I think you should think twice about defining a "good" race as a specific time without regard to weather conditions and also race-simulation time trials close to race day. That may be fine in moderate weather conditions, but I'm not convinced it's a good approach in more extreme conditions. My $.02, FWIW.

Laurie said...

Your goals seem reasonable to me. Though 18 months is a helluva season. Does it have to be so long?

Comm's said...

I think what your saying is wise advice Nancy. I am glad you keep leaving it. Heat stroke and dehydration are constantly directing my actions. That being said I don't like to give up and that perpetuates my severities.

I want to finish the race. 16 hours is just a valid a time for me. 12 hours would be great.

Comm's said...

Laurie,

My race season here in Arizona runs quite long. The only real break is in the summer when its scorching, but that is when other areas of the country are just ramping up.

I don't race two or three times a month and pack it all in 90 or 120 days. I think my schedule in 2008 will be about 9 races up to about 12.

Plus the first five months. (the rest of this year) I will not be racing at all.

ltcaesar said...

Just jumping into triathlon, I'm struggling with my expectations for IMAZ...

I hear you about not giving up and expecting only the best. Get heat stroke once, and you'll have a higher chance of twice. But at least it doesn't magically happen- prepare and plan for it, and run the race you want!!

Brent Buckner said...

Enjoy the process!

Tony said...

16:59:59 would be a great race for me! My goal is to lay it all on the line and do what it takes to finish. Hell, even if I don't finish it would still be a good race for me if I truely believed I gave it my all.

Keep up the great work Comm.

S. Baboo said...

Hooray for the long season!

See, you have touched upon my weakness...the "good" race versus the "perfect" race. While I too believe that the finish is a fantastic accomplishment and something I can be proud of I still get those darn times in my head because I KNOW I have that kind of potential and that, like at IMAZ 08, can lead to the dreaded blow-up.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Ironman-schmironman. ;-)
Have you considered the Drambuie Pursuit? It's a team race in Scotland. Everybody rushes to get their case of Drambuie, then has to transport it 100 miles over rough terrain to safety. It recreates some version of the history of Drambuie's secret recipe.
Teams of 4 have to rock climb, shoot archery, trail run, mountain bike, white water raft, drive dune buggies.... Knowing you will bring your compass makes me want you on my team. It should take about two days.
;-)
Jenny

21stCenturyMom said...

Your goals sound good to me. Just don't take any cold meds on race day - they dehydrate you! ;-)

I think if you plan for the perfect race but are in tune with the awesomeness that is 'just finishing' you can't go wrong.

Bigun said...

Southern weather really spoils us, or kills us in terms of our 'season'. I'm forceing myself to take a 2-4 week block off in December, even though I could still be training, and racing (I just don't see "4" happening...)

Keep on not cranking there Comms...it's funny in "base" I have to even keep my thoughts calm or my HR shoots up - I was thinking about IMCdA a week or so ago on a bike ride and next thing you know, I look down and I'm over 155 HR!

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

For me any Ironman that ends with "Brian Brode, you are an Ironman!"

Keep working. You are going to rock AZ.

Stay tuned...