Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Factoring Facts

I really can not cycle very well.

Some of you might think, "But you're an Ironman. You've done dozens of century rides. What do you mean?"

Well using compu-trainers really allows me to witness the brutal honesty of the effort produced by my legs. Not the flywheel momentum that occurs by spinning through more than enough gears to get through anything but the longest or steepest of my ability. No, I am speaking of the full use of the pedal stroke. Thrusting the knee forward. Dropping the heel down. The "scraping mud technique". Using the hip flexor rather than the calf. All the analytical parts in triathlon books I tended to skim over instead of digest.

Bolder is right when he quotes Lance Armstrong's book title, "It's all about the bike". But the statement is too vague. To ambiguous, Its not about putting in miles but the quality of miles you put in. A more apt statement is, "Given enough time to master pedal efficiency and with diligence applied to output training (HR, watts, etc) and consistency, you will become the greatest cyclist you can possibly be."

I have much to consider in this new, trying to improve, (though not much lighter..yet) training season. Riding for three hours used to be a time to contemplate all sorts of things just to occupy my mind. Now it will be filled with the same sort of self critique that I use in swimming to monitor my movements.

Breakthrough is right around the corner. I know it in my head, I want it in my heart, soon I will feel it in my body.


7 comments:

Fumo Santo said...

Great way to end the post, Comm.

I've found myself working on my pedal stroke as well lately, and there are times when I settle into a grove that feels effortless and I know I'm on the right path to proper technique. It's just finding consistency in that feeling is the true challenge.

You'll round that corner soon enough.

Fumo Santo said...

Great way to end the post, Comm.

I've found myself working on my pedal stroke as well lately, and there are times when I settle into a grove that feels effortless and I know I'm on the right path to proper technique. It's just finding consistency in that feeling is the true challenge.

You'll round that corner soon enough.

21stCenturyMom said...

You and me, both. My lack of proper cycling technique is never more obvious than when I do 1 leg drills. I'm good for about 20 revolutions and then the kathunk sets in. Must learn to lift my knees and smooth that circle out.

Fumo Santo said...

FYI, I came across an article posted on trifuel today about pedal stroke. May be worth takin' a peek.

http://trifuel.com/training/bike/pedaling-technique-summary-and-drills

Spokane Al said...

Your post today is eye opening for me. I think I have the same challenges when it comes to bike riding.

Bolder said...

hey!

Lance Armstrong's book title is "It's NOT about the bike"... "It's ALL about the bike" TM is all Bolder.

;)

you're right though... it is too vague, and it's been misconstrued by others (not yourself) to prove other points... such as, BUY AN EXPENSIVE BIKE!

that's never what i meant... what i've always meant, is that the reason it is all about the bike, is that you need efficient transport from T1 to T2, or you will blow up on the marathon into a million billion pieces, such that none of you will ever be found again.

you can REALLY screw up your swim by going to hard, or not hard enough, and your Ironman will remain relatively intact.

don't get the bike right -- you're Ironman is OVAH!

it's all about the bike.

i thought about going with 'it's all about nutrition', but, i couldn't get Lance to title his book 'It's NOT about nutrition'.

i do what i can.

Tony said...

My pedal stroke sucks also. I need to work on it and that is why I have scheduled a bike analysis with Nick at Durapulse later this week.

The book is "It's Not About The Bike" It was a very good read.

Keep up the good work.