Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Self Guilt to Success

Dear Me,

I feel like I let myself down last week. I didn't miss any one scheduled workout but I didn't complete all of them either. Of 15 hours of training I came up short by 2 hours. The majority of that coming from the absolute frustration of running on a treadmill for 12 miles.

I simply could not bring myself to finish it. I couldn't. I tried. I got on the machine with all my fuel and water and towels. I ran for a while, more than most people do in a week of training but mentally I didn't have a long run in me after the week I had.

My closest adviser having a stroke. My friend possibly dead, an unknown cyclist in her neighborhood crushed by a semi truck and no answer from her phones. Some crucial conversations with employees. It took too much out of me.

I let myself down. I'm sorry. I take myself way to seriously. I put high expectations on my employees to memorize scripts and follow through with the instructions of my production partners. How can I expect excellent execution of our company systems from them when I can't follow through 100% with my own training programs?

I can't promise myself that I won't become weak during a practice. I can't promise myself that in a moment of crisis or weakness that I will skip a workout. I can only rely on my Heart, my Determination, my Perseverance to succeed.

I want to do well so badly. I want to redeem myself at Ironman Arizona next year. I have put so much effort into my fitness and nutrition and balance with my family that momentarily lapses of conviction punctuate my weakness.

I am sorry for myself. Not in the way that I am a mopey sad sack and need a kick in my ass. I am sorry for myself in that I know I can do better and yet I let myself down.

Have Fun but do better. You deserve the best.

6 comments:

Dances with Corgis said...

Aww Comm... I lost a best friend last week as well.

***hugs***

Take it easy, you will get back at it. Court

The Big Cheese said...

When you fill anothers bucket you fill our own. Here is a ladel for you pal.

21stCenturyMom said...

Hey - life happens. The only thing worse than missing a couple of hours of workout is missing the opportunity to participate fully in the rest of your life. You've got to strike a balance.

One worse thing - beating yourself up like that. Training is to be celebrated. If you miss a workout you just vow not to miss the next one and move on.

Bigun said...

Dear Comm,

Thanks for the note, but let me tell you this, if you ever schedule a 12 mile or more run on the treadmill again, I'll kick your ass!

Sincerely,

Me

Brent Buckner said...

Dear You:

Nonetheless, so far so good. Back at it tomorrow, looking to be better yet. 'Cause that's how you roll - and encourage others to be better too.

Sincerely,

Me

Wendy said...

Dear Comm's,

You completed a little more than 86% of your goal. As grades go, not an A+ but a solid A.

Room for improvement, sure. But still good!

Yours truly,

Me