Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Does this look lonely?

The sad fact is that my base training is ramped up harder than most half iron plans right now. But I have big goals for next year and I can't wait for the season to start. But first the sowing, then then the reaping. And as all good farmers know, the seeds are growing long before they pop through the loamy earth.

I am one of the slower swimmers in my tri club. Let me put that in perspective for a moment. I am on pace to swim a 82 minute Ironman and I finish in the back of the pack with my peers who all pace about an hour five. I really don't have any problems with my swimming right now...as long as its wet suit legal. Thats another story.

Lately I have been swimming for an hour in open water or about 3000 yards. Most of my pals are swimming 2000 in about 30 minutes. So its a lot of time spent by myself in water, usually I try to get in the water 30 minutes earlier so we all finish together. When that doesn't happen or someone else is staying in, one of the team will spot from the steel bridge that we swim under and has perfect viewing of the entire swim course.

Ken took this picture of me swimming late as he guarded me from the bridge one night. I think it's a beautiful picture of a beautiful place, but it only emphasizes my sense of loneliness now that I am deep into the biggest training program of my triathlon career. I look at it and see just me. Alone. Happy but alone.

I usually arrive an hour or more early to all our events to get in extra miles of whatever practice where having. But that is the sacrifice one must make to accomplish big dreams. It's the training that I do when others are not around that is going to get me where I want to go, though I would never want to give up the camaraderie I have with my team.
Its also sort of a metaphor of my blogging. While my daily posts have not slacked much, my daily reading has and that causes me to feel as alone as I do in my swims. I am happy, but alone. Reading the success and struggle of my good friends is as much a part of my life as any swim, bike or run.

9 comments:

Wendy said...

Comm's, it looks absolutely beautiful to me!!!!!!

Laurie said...

What an amazingly beautiful place to swim! I am sure you can feel lonely and small in a place like that.

We'll still be here when you have more time to read again :)

Clyde S. Dale said...

I've ridden 1500 miles all by my lonesome this summer. Its my quiet time to think. Looks like a great place to swim!!

Flo said...

What a gorgeous place!!! I'm jealous :)

Tri-Angle said...

Aren't we lucky to have such a beautiful training pool Comm?
A.

LBTEPA said...

A photo to treasure as it has so many meanings :)
Your posts help me seek the inspired life - or at least not skip morning training, cos that's CMS. Cheers!

Fe-lady said...

Just because you train alone doesn't mean you ARE alone....
( AND YOU ARE NOT!!)

Great photo! I would have joined you had I known you were going....!

stronger said...

looks serene

Bigun said...

in a pool full of swimmers, you swim alone. That is the nature of swimming.