Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Its a test, get angry

I haven't swam with Coach Nick from Durapulse (link on sidebar) for about a month. We discussed the things he has been helping me with on my plan but we haven't swam 'together' lately. I wasn't sure where we were going Tuesday with the drills and when he said, "Just warm up and I'll watch", I figured I would swim for about ten minutes in the endless pool and then get some feedback, then some drills.

Over the course of 30 minutes he never spoke to me, nor raised his hand signaling me to stop swimming and get instructions. Instead he stood to my right, my front, my left and my rear on the lip around the tank just watching. I was getting pissed. How much time is needed to see what my stroke and body positioning looks like?

Speed increase. Increased again. Another increase. With each twist of the dial I refused to back down from the challenge. A few times my stroke suffered. Sometimes I had to single stroke breathe to catch my breath. With the third significant increase I watched as my body was forced backward from the water coming at me. I vowed to be pushed into the back wall before giving in. I asked myself the question always on my mind, "Do you have the heart?" while steadily gaining on the water until I was back in neutral position.

A decrease in speed to a comfortable level. For how long, I thought. I will not give up. Rather I will not give in. I will not pop up. I will swim angry, waiting for the next increase. I had not seen Nick in a long time, he must be standing near the dial just waiting to drown me when I am struggling to keep it together.

Then the water abates. I stroke until I can't help but hit the front wall. I look up and unflinchingly he asks me what I was thinking. I am honest. I told him I swam angry at the end. I was honest. I listed the litany of my errors and oddities.

He smiles finally. "You did really good, Commodore. Really good." He gives me praise and confirmation of all the things I listed as his own thoughts. Telling me I recovered well when I had to, my legs and kick were improved and my stroke and breathing technically proficient.

The most fitting way to end this post... the hardest effort was a 1:30 pace per 100 yards.

10 comments:

Phil said...

Nice. Sounds like a great challenge. Have you ever had a VO2 max test? You'd love that.

Nancy Toby said...

Ha! Go, Comm!

I seem to find that in just about every race I do, at some point I get angry. I used to start an internal dialogue critiquing the race management and finding fault (yes, I was still nice to the volunteers). But now I recognize it's just some function of racing hard and I try to direct it into going harder.

Spokane Al said...

1:30 pace per 100 yards is really moving along! Congratulations for sticking with the work out. It definitely will make you faster and stronger.

Wendy said...

Good job Comm's!!!

Tony said...

I know what you are talking about. When I had saw Nick for my bike analysis he had me ridemy bike on the trainer about as fast as I could go. then he had me go, go, and go. I would look over at him as if to say WTF?, but he just sat there. And just as I thought hy heart was going to blast through my chest and splatter against the wall in front of me, he told me to stop.

He told me what I was doing wrong and how to correct it. He had me ride the correct way for a while and it sure did make a difference. He is a very good coach.

21stCenturyMom said...

Blogger ate my comment!

Anyhow - nicely done and Nick sounds like he has odd but effective means to inspire performance.

Phoenix said...

You have quite the will. I would've had to stick my head out of the water and ask "what gives?"

You did great! 1:30 / 100 is way fast.

momo said...

1:30/100 is awesome, comm! sounds like you are doing wonderfully in this cycle - i'm really interested to watch how things go the next few months in your training - the progress looks good.

i'm jealous! :-) i'm feeling so lazy right now!!

Glen said...

Comm the swimmer, who would have thought that. Nice job mate.

Bigun said...

you know, the groundhog "drove angry", and it seemed to work for him, despite his driving coach. right up until he drove off the cliff.

swim angry. sounds like great advise. if I ever get in the pool again, I'll try it!