Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I was so excited...

I was up this morning at 0216. Couldn't sleep. Thought about riding for a couple hours on the trainer then do the scheduled easy 1 hour run. Decided to stay in bed and think about all the stuff going on this week. Had a good run. Don't normally see runners out that early, mostly cyclist. But saw one and ran him down. We ran for a mile together. That was unexpected and fun.

Had a meeting at work. I was excited when I got out. So excited I decided to go right away to the local pool and get in a hour instead of getting lunch. I was so motivated that it wasn't until I was deep into the swim that I realized I was swimming with Coach Nick later that day. Drat.

Instead of bailing on him, I showed up. We talked about other stuff, the race from last weekend and our impressions. What my race schedule will be or might be next year. Nick challenges me in a ways that I can't figure out. Thats a good thing.

In all I am pretty motivated. Why else would I be up after 22 hours today. I have been getting up between 3:00 and 4:00 in the morning more often than not to get in one of my two workouts for the day. Living on between five and six hours sleep. Sometimes four. But I am excited about getting in a run in cool weather or riding my bike on the trainer and catching up on some Tivo.

Mistress and Mo leave today for Seattle. I have to keep myself busy so I'll ride outside or on the trainer for three and half hours today, getting in my long ride for the week and trying to fit in my long run in Seattle.

5 comments:

Bill said...

I feel your pain.

Up at 0211 this morning, for no good reason. Packing in a training session is out of the question, being only 84 hours out from my 129-mile event (not a full 140.6).

So at least I was able to make good use of the time and knock out my homework for my online classes.

Iron Pol said...

If you're waking up sans the alarm clock, I guess that's all you can do. But you have to be careful about getting enough sleep. We tend to short ourselves because of nerves, tension, and even excitement.

Remember, your body recovers during sleep, and shorting it too much will impact both training and racing.

Now, was that boring enough to put you back to sleep?

Brent Buckner said...

I think I'll just simulate excitement with caffeine. Or should that be stimulate?

21stCenturyMom said...

Just thinking about 3 hours on a trainer is enough put get me to doze off. I guess I'd better get over that in case it rains a lot this winter.

tarheeltri said...

I lived most of my life on 4-5 hours of sleep and it didn't stop me from finishing several marathons and an Ironman... not saying it was the best Ironman effort I could have put out, especially now that I'm getting 6-8 hours a night on average and my run, bike and swim times are all getting faster with less running and swimming and sligtly more biking (but not by much). Strange thing is, Comm, I'm like a Non-Sleep Addict. Despite my improvements, I really want to go back to my old life of 4-5 hours... there are too many things I miss out on being in bed for 8 hours a day!!