Monday, September 3, 2007

Perspective of the life

We all live in stress envelopes of our own creation. We have different levels of stress for work, friends, outside stimulus, and of course physical stress. As we train our minds, numb our feelings or train our body's we can increase these envelopes till what used to be very stressful is now merely a blip.

At the pool the other day I shared a lane with someone getting back into swimming after a long absence of exercise. At one point in my set we both ended up at the same wall with some time to spare and he asked how much farther I was going. I replied about a mile more after already doing 800 yards and what about him.

He had done 6x100 and was smoked and leaving. He asked me what I was doing for the rest of the day, going back to work or going home for Labor Day weekend. I responded that I am going to go run 10 miles.

His eyes got HUGE. Thats when it dawned on me.

At work I am constantly surrounded by people striving to be better physically. In training and racing and blogging I am constantly surrounded by, listened to, dropping advice, or in the company or conversation of fitness.

I suppose I am sometimes blind to the fact that people are not into the lifestyle that I have. Just as I am aghast that someone would drop their cigarette butt out the window of their car, others I am sure are aghast that I would over the course of a Friday, Saturday, Sunday; run 15 miles, cycle 60 miles and swim 5,000 yards. And that was just the schedule for last weekends base training.

I read the facts and see the results of the increasing weight problems of this country. While I am not shaped like a sleek whippet or coiled spring, (see: Bolder for that), I have a decent build and my mode of dress does describe a Fitness Enthusiast. The funny (or perhaps sad) thing is making sure I don't have too much triathlon gear on. Between my M-Dot tattoo, a race shirt, my road ID which never seems to come off my ankle, a IM visor or other races ball cap, or drawstring swag bag, (which Nytro calls a Murse), it can be triathlon overload. Like when you see someone head to toe in Nike.

I don't enjoy blowing the mind of the Common Man, intimidation can overwhelm someone into NOT getting started on an exercise program, but I do get a glimpse at the understanding of where my fitness stress envelope is when seen through their eyes.

I suppose the moral of this story is when you think you're just barely making it, in whatever you're doing, someone else will see it as Herculean.

12 comments:

Flo said...

Comm, that is soooooo true! I'm just getting back into the tri training and whenever I think I'm not where I should be fitness wise, I ride or run past the lady down the street who has a bed in her carport and must weigh 600 lbs. I pass her by and think I'm doing fine. It might not be the kindest thought I have, but it does keep things in perspective for me.

Bill said...

Absolutely.

Being military, I have the advantage of doing PT five days a week at work. These young studs are fit.

But they look at me like I'm insane when I run the 5 miles into work, do the "circle of pain" with them, then stretch the run home out to 8 miles. There I grab some food, shower and drive to work and am still sitting down at my desk by 9am.

They know that I'll swim or bike later that day too.

As far as the rise in obesity, that was the topic of the term for my latest writing class. Absolutely amazing how fast the overweight and obese are becoming the norm.

I was proud of the folks that were out doing the local 100K ride this weekend, but was surprised at the commonality of the width over the seat. Each got a little word of encouragement.

Hopefully, over time, their perspective will change too.

21stCenturyMom said...

So true. Saturday at swimming I mentioned (for some reason) that I had already run. The woman I was speaking to asked 'how far'. I said, "just 3 miles" She responded "OMG - JUST 3 miles... blah blah blah". I was thinking I should have run 6.

Today I swam with some triathletes and they had rides and runs on the schedule and were doing events in consecutive weekends.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Jen_runs said...

Great points Comms & so true. Just yesterday I was being self-critical as to the level of my fitness. Thanks for the reminder.

BTW a while ago you called for your readers for their blog addresses to add to your "tri alliance". I responded that I was a mere trail runner. But I have now seen the light, have a nice shiny new tri program (my first) & am planning to do my first tri this season!

Spokane Al said...

I think your final comment sums things up pretty well.

Whether we are triathletes, facing life with a physical or mental challenge, or raising a family in the best way we know how "when you think you're just barely making it, in whatever you're doing, someone else will see it as Herculean."

LBTEPA said...

We all live in stress envelopes of our own creation -

I am going to pass that line onto several friends of mine who are struggling with life at the moment becuase of the word "should".
Thanks for another thought-provoking post

Nancy Toby said...

Ha! I sometimes wonder (for about a nanosecond) if my running shorts are out of place, but they're the most comfortable item of clothing I own and I wear them pretty much every day. If somebody else has a problem with them, too bad!!

Fe-lady said...

I KNOW you loved the look in his eyes when you told him...I just know you did! (I would have!) :-0

Siren said...

Excellent post. I'm still in the place where people are blown away not just that I'm doing it, but that I'm doing it 80 pounds overweight (and at the moment, 7 months pregnant to boot). I do my best to invite people to ask the questions they're clearly dying to ask, and I think I've helped more than one overweight girl see that this lifestyle is within her grasp. I figure I should take advantage of playing the fat card while I can, because when I'm done losing weight I get that people will simply see "one of THOSE people" just like I used to and it won't be so easy to convince people they can do it too.

Nytro said...

benny refuses to wear more than one thing at a time that his ironman on it. but, he feels free to mix ironman with soma.

me? if it's clean and doesn't need to be ironed? Fair. Game.

Nytro said...

benny refuses to wear more than one thing at a time that his ironman on it. but, he feels free to mix ironman with soma.

me? if it's clean and doesn't need to be ironed? Fair. Game.

Andra Sue said...

Once again, the infamous "distance creep" phenomenon rears it's ugly head! :)

Sometimes it's hard to remember that WE are considered the weirdos in American society. Sad, but true.