Monday, September 17, 2007

Lake Closed

There was a celebration at Canyon Lake over the weekend by the aztriclub. It was our last swim in the lake for the year which was part of the impetus for the party, which is normally held annually the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

For the first time in over 50 years the lake will be drained for work on the dam at its western edge. The water will drop over 50 feet and the park service will not allow anyone in the water. I do hope to go up there and just look at the change as it will be a once in a lifetime for me.

The other reason for the party is that two of our team mates have birthdays this month and their spouses wanted to combine a party. Since both the guys are doing Timex Olympic next weekend, coinciding with their birthdays it was decided a much earlier celebration was better than one after the fact.

My small part was to get the two over to the beach after the team swim. I swam the 1/2 mile from the beach to the team and told them Mistress had beer and cheesebrugers back at the beach for the annual BBQ closing the lake and thats really all it took. That and getting everyone else clued into the rouse before Sunday and playing along. I then swam back with a couple of guys.

Mistress, Mo and I went up early to secure the area of the beach we wanted for the party. As Mo and I were picking up trash the Park Rangers came by on their garbage rounds. They recognized me as someone whom is up there often and has asked for trash bags in the past and when they saw Mo and I using our liter-picker-upper they struck up a conversation. I mentioned I'd taken out around 200 pounds of trash so far this year and in a small gesture they gave me a huge supply of bags since they knew I'd been using my own. It was a nice gesture.

So long lake. Swim you next year.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Impressive work on the picking up by you and Mo!

Glen said...

Go Cardinals, just did'nt want to call and rub it in mate. maybe next time.

Fumo Santo said...

Just when I finally get out to the lake for my first swim, they decide to drain it. Oh well, just my luck!

It was great meeting you (and the rest of the crew) out there. You all are a great bunch of people, and I look forward to meeting up this training season. Sorry we couldn't stick around longer, but those damn bees make it too uncomfortable. Better safe than sorry! Not to mention I looked at the epi-pen in the car and it expired in August of 06.

Again, thanks for the hospitality and here's to hoping to meet up again soon.