Friday, September 21, 2007

A long time ago...

...I almost drown in Canyon Lake. My how my swimming has changed. How I have changed.

Anyway, I think about this event at least twice a week since I still swim this same route around those two buoys up front to the one in the back, though now its simply a starting point. The beginning of "the next lap".

It took me three separate trips up to the lake to get the courage to swim to that buoy by myself. All those 70-100 yard swim dashes from one side of the cove to the other, just off the channel, while everyone else made it look so easy. They still do.

No I am doing at least 2,000 yards per workout there. Usually 3,000 yards, peaking at several 4,000 yard swims before an IM. I have done as many as 5,000 yards at one time. But I think about that first 400 all by myself that almost took my life.

Now with the club, people routinely come join us at the lake and right off the bat swim the 400 yards round trip to the buoy as their first OW experience. Each time it blows me away to see this. Was I that bad? That full of fear? The answer to both was probably yes.

I also think that personally its one the best post I have done. Maybe because the scare is still so visual for me. That the words written are a bit too close to the reality of it. I remember every one of those thoughts while I was out there.

Damn it I still say there is sharks in that lake!

I also looked at the commenter's back then. When you read them you will see very familiar names, another level of security in my life. We were all so disjointed then. Just starting our Triathlete Alliance. Maybe two dozen at that time. But we stuck together and we taught each other and we grew. Now my blog roll is over a hundred strong. The Alliance has become a community. And its better to swim in a community than alone.

Thanks.

8 comments:

tarheeltri said...

I'm still amazed at all the people including you who have/had the guts to learn how to swim just to do a triathlon, much less an Ironman. I don't think I have that type of courage in me. I have to admit, that even as a strong swimmer, looking back to shore from the furthest buoy at IM Florida was a little bit frightening. Someone once asked me how deep it was out there... "shark deep" ... that's how deep it is at the furthest buoy. Don't look back, just keep swimming I told myself.

Those were the good ole' days, huh? Just a few of us blogging and not having very many other IM Finisher reports to ease our fears.

By the way, what ever happened to good ole' Tom Naka?

Fumo Santo said...

Great post, especially since I finally joined you guys last week for my first ever open water swim.

I've always loved playing in the water as I grew up around lakes, and I've been in the water ever since I can remember, yet never swam with a purpose.

I try not to think of the depth, distance, etc. The only thing that bugged me out there was the lack of vision in the murky water. I found myself pulling to one side too often thus not lining up well.

I was questioning the distance as well. I'm never good at judging distance so it's good to know that rounding both buoys is a 400 yard lap.

Now it's time to see how I do without a wetsuit, and this weekend should prove interesting!

Iron Pol said...

First, I want to cuss out Tri Daddy. He stole my Tom Naka line.

I wasn't even in the pool when that post was written. And one of the things that gave me hope was posts like it. I sat and watched all the people in the pool just blazing through laps and felt great just to get to 1000 yards.

Then, I hit the lake for my first (220 yard) race. And freaked. Completely. Sidestroke or walk, that was all I did.

Where are you, now? How many newbies do you find yourself telling YOUR story, so they will have a bit more confidence? I'd guess "plenty."

Bolder said...

i'm impressed not just by TriD's "shark deep", but, that he was in so much control that he looked at the shore from that farthest buoy.

i was having an out-of-body experience i think at the time.

you have come a long way Comm my brothah! congrats to you for celebratin' it!!!

can't wait to swim in Canyon Lake in the SOMA tri -- it's the only reason Nytro talked me into it!

Tri-Angle said...

Good to see boulder's coming down for SOMA
Just 2 short years ago Comm.....Remember when you and Jeff and I did your 1500 to get you ready for um....Timex? last year?
Good to see your progress Comm. It's inspriring.
See ya Sunday.

21stCenturyMom said...

So this is the lake I'll be swimming at SOMA? Awesome! But I thought it was in something called Lake Tempe?

Anyhow, I couldn't agree more about how it is so much better to swim in a community than alone.

Kudos for sticking it out and not letting that first panic attack derail your Iron dreams.

Papa Tweet said...

I have it on good authority that there are no sharks in Canyon Lake. Trust me, I slept in a Holiday Innn lastnight.

LBTEPA said...

I'm glad you didn't drown :)