Thursday, September 20, 2007

Out of retirement

No not me. Told you it's not whom you think it was and well I haven't retired. Not by a long shot.

Its Mistress.

She will be swimming in her first triathlon in almost exactly a decade. Can you say you were a triathlete over ten years ago?

Mistress is toeing the line at Nathan's (Timex) Olympic Distance race this weekend at Tempe Town Lake. She will be the swim leg of a relay consisting of Hardcore Mike on the bike leg and Wendy the wife of my training partner Jeff, on the run.

Let me just once again praise my wife. She is a fantastic, fearless swimmer. She had a four year varsity scholarship at Washington State University where she swam her best in the mile with a PR under 15 minutes. She swam 8-12 miles each day 6 days a week for several years.

She was never the fastest triathlete, she would crush everyone in the swim but used a borrowed ten speed and hated running, but she loved the races like we all do today. She even made a triathlete out of her urbanite best friend who panic swam from kayak to kayak to finish a Danskin sprint. No it was not me. There are several terms to describe me, urban is not one.

It was Mistress who introduced me to triathlon and I would have become one myself back then had we not moved before the next season began. She taught me how to ride a road bike.

I am so excited that she is has found a competitive spirit again, if just a spark and if just for swimming. It matters not for me. It's more than enough to be able to hear Mo yell, "GOMOMMYGO!" on Sunday.

I love my wife with all my heart and it makes me proud to be on the other side of the transition area once again cheering for her and celebrating in the excitement.

15 comments:

Fe-lady said...

Yeah Mistress! 15 min for a mile? Wow! That's what I call SWIMMIN'!
I can't believe swimming all that mileage per day...my shoulders feel tired just thinking about it!
Glad she is "back" in the "swim" of things!

Wendy said...

Go Mistress!!!!!!!

tarheeltri said...

Brothers I tell ya... Sandi is doing her first tri as the bike leg of a relay in my magazines Ramblin' Rose Women Only Triathlon in October. Their team name is "The Little Winesteins"

stronger said...

Wow Mistress! Good for you!

greyhound said...

Kick some bootay, mistress!

Kona Shelley said...

Mistress is awesome!!!!

Laurie said...

Yay! Good luck to Mistress this weekend :)

momo said...

woo-hoo, mistress go! i'm going to try to make it down there to see the race - i can't wait to see her blazing out of the water!

its just the first step. before you know it maybe she'll have iron-mistress inklings... :-)

21stCenturyMom said...

Go Mistress! People who swam as kids and especially in college are always so blazing fast. It's amazing. May her teammates perform as well in their legs as she does in hers!

bunnygirl said...

Yay, congrats to her for getting back in the game! I envy good swimmers. Mistress sounds terrif!

Iron Pol said...

Yay! Swimmin' is racin'. It's a short leap from relay to duathlon, and a return to full fledged triathlon is just around the corner.

And now you get to do the cheering.

Brent Buckner said...

Yay for Mistress!

The Big Cheese said...

Go Mistress! BTW, is there enough room in the house for two triathletes? Good for Mo as well.

LBTEPA said...

Go Mistress go! And you three have a blast on Sunday!

Di said...

WOOHOOO!! MORE COWBELL!!