Thursday, September 6, 2007

Ringing

Forget the fact that my kick ass silver laptop with 17" screen feels like the size and weight of the nuclear football, but it does allow me to work from Buffalo Wild Wings this afternoon, and they do free wi-fi. God Bless America. For those that know my penchant for my favorite meal, well its fifty cent boneless wings Thursday. Hoorah.

Its been just a nutz day. I have been backed up all week with demands and I finally had to have the, "You have given me this, this, and this as urgent. I have time deadlines on this, this and this. What do you want me to sacrifice?" Point made.

Mistress got frustrated with me for not answering my phone a few weeks ago. To be honest I don't carry my phone with me everywhere I go. I don't take it into meetings, or movies or I turn off the ringer when I am jammed up. But I have tried since that conviction to be better at answering her calls.

She called today right before going into a meeting with some lawyers, asking if I wanted to see a comedian Friday night with a six other couples we are friends with. If she was asking I knew it was important for her so I was interested until she said it was the 9pm show and we'd be home around midnight. I sort of groaned out loud as I had planned to get up at 0330 Saturday to get in my 60 mile ride before coming home for her to go to her Masters swim.

Her mention of me skipping the ride did not go well, but I told her right away that I would simply ride on 3 hours sleep and that it seemed this was important to her. So I am riding on three hours sleep.

I hung up, still frazzled from all the demands of the day, walked into the meeting with the lawyers and realized I had brought the wrong case file. Yup. Thankfully all I really do is consider these cases, looking at every angle and we had a productive meeting with me going from memory and them from their files. Thank god they were on my side.

It a day in the life.

6 comments:

21stCenturyMom said...

Way to go! That's kind of a huge sacrafice on your part. Maybe you can sneak a nap in during the movie?? Just don't snore!

Tony said...

Good for you not answering your cell phone. Cell phones suck! Throw it away!

Join me and revolt against this cell phone fad. I am lonely being the only one.

Tri-Angle said...

I'll ride Comm, no really I will. What time you going?
Crismon?
60miles would be right on the nut for me.
Call me today
A.

Phoenix said...

Its so tough to balance training/career/family. Sounds like you're doing a stellar job. Hope there's a nap in your Saturday forecast ;)

Bigun said...

the only programmed ring tone in my phone is my honey's - so that' ususally the only one I don't ignore...I mean, I never ignore it when she rings me....

Iron Pol said...

Just catching up on some reading. You hit the "the real truth behind Ironman" with this post.

What I found most difficult wasn't the race. Nor was it the long training sessions. The most challenging part of training was the relentless need to get up bright and early after ensuring family needs were met each preceding night.

Whether it was getting up with fussy kids (which is almost solely my job), struggling to get them to sleep in the first place (while my wife was out and about), or just staying up a bit late to spend time with Mrs. Pol, 4:30 came awful early on many occassions.

But, there's more to being an "Ironman" than running a really long race. Especially when it's a way of life and not just a one time endeavor