Friday, March 23, 2007

Storm Roll

Its actually quite rare to start a workout on time when Hardcore Mike is involved. Thursday was he and I going up for swim at the lake, hoping to find a good window in the storm fronts that kept rolling through that part of the valley.

As it worked out we had our wet suits on and were dipping our toes at exactly the time we wanted. I looked up and remarked to Mike and a family standing nearby fishing, "That is a nasty looking thunder roll coming in. This might not work." This stock photo from online is a fairly good representation, though it was a lot closer to the ground.

As we stroked out a bit, the wind and the chop really got rough. Having been through Ironman Florida's swells I wasn't concerned. But those clouds didn't look right, they moved to fast. I pulled up to a outcropping of rock along the cliff face and stood up staring at the the sky. I asked Mike pull over with me.

"Lightening." I said. Something I learned from my dad, is that each time you see lightening you call it out. Having spent enough time outdoors, I have seen the beauty and felt the wraith of lightening. I don't fear it but respect it enough to stay my distance , get to safety and certainly not be swimming in it. BOOM. Then the rain started.

I told Mike I wanted at least five minutes to pass from the last visual sighting before swimming again. 15 minutes went by with 30 bolts I could call out and about double that in thunder and it wasn't slowing down. In fact it was getting closer. I decided to throw in the towel. This still meant we had to get in the water and swim 75 yards back to the gear which was fun since we were swimming in the rain but a little weird expecting an electric shock at any time.

Good times.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Avoiding a shocking experience is a big plus in this case!

Brent Buckner said...

Timely, given yesterday's _98.6_ post.

Did you have one make the 75 yard swim with the other watching over, ready to pull a zapped comrade out of the water, or did you just decide that you would both live or die together?

Comm's said...

We swam at the same time.

its the ole, "I don't have to run faster than the bear...just you" mentality.

Bigun said...

good thing you had your wetsuits on - the rubber insulates you so essentially you were lightnig proof; not really sure what you were afraid of...=:-)

Bigun said...

what's a Gort, btw - is that bad?

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

I bet it was a thrill as well as a scare. I love moments like those.

Stay tuned...