Saturday, March 24, 2007

I M swim

Did my first IM open water swim today. I was the first one of the group in the water and with all the rain the lake was mighty cold to start off. The first 600 yards were not very comfortable. I was hyperventilating, having doubts about my stroke, having doubts I could do the distance. Once the I got to the back buoy for my first time all that was gone and I was into my groove.

What was really amazing to me this time is that all the stroke work paid off from last winter. For one, my heart rate was much more controlled throughout the swim. Also after swimming this 1,000 yard loop I don't how many times before, a hundred times maybe, I was constantly amazing myself at how few strokes it took me to get to my targets. I am used to a much shorter and faster stroke and now that I am using a more efficient stroke, I would look up expecting to be a certain distance from the buoy or the bridge just based on past rhythm and instead I would be right on top of it.

In all I finished the 2.4 miles in 1hr 20min. My last swim before Ironman Florida last October was 1hr 34min. I PR'd by 14 minutes. I also beat Big John's time which I have never been able to do in three years and crushed Hardcore Mike.

With three weeks to go to Arizona it was certainly comforting to be able to make this a great swim.

10 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Congratulations. It looks as if things are coming together for you just at the right time.

Bolder said...

who is this man...


it

it's

AQUAMAN!


GO COMM GO!

nancytoby said...

Whoa, that's an awesome swim!! You need to post an online stroke clinic for us and reveal all the secrets of your new and improved stroke!!

Brent Buckner said...

Breakthrough! Congratulations.

Enjoy the results of your mindful dedicated efforts.

White Salamander said...

Great job on the swim! I remember the first time I realized I was actually going faster with long powerful reaching strokes than I was with quick short nonesense. Where are you doing your open water swim? Tempe Town Lake? Lake Roosevelt? Or somewhere else, I'm curious.

Dances with Corgis said...

Awesome swim. Must have felt nice to clock that distance once again!

Laurie said...

Nicely done. :)

Bigun said...

Did the last 38 of my buck this weekend with a guy going out to Arizona...duh, can't remember his name (I suck so bad at that!)...he finished stronger than I did, that's for sure! I was excited for him going into his taper, just like I am for you! Nice confidence booster with your IM swim - you're all over this puppy!

Iron Pol said...

Hey, awesome job, Comm. All that swim coaching has paid off, big time. And 1:20 in an open water swim is awesome. Perhaps short of world record time, but finishing faster and stronger will pay off big time on the bike and run.

Andra Sue said...

Quite the impressive feat! What a mental boost...just a couple weeks out from the race. :)