Monday, March 26, 2007

Limping In

While I have 'physically limped in' , (like last years Olympic distance where I stress fractured my leg), I am thinking more along the lines of the me limping into the office today still recovering from a great weekend of training. That type of 'Limping In' in the good one. Lactic acid, slightly stiff, little sun burn, ah good times.

It also might describe how this Ironman is going to play out in, oh gosh, 20 days. Limping in is an apt description of how I will be under trained for this long day of racing April 15th. Ultimately its better to be physically under trained than over trained and I still have my strong mental and nutritional game to help get me through.

Our team had our first IM taper workout over the weekend. So strange to think that a 2.4 mile swim one day, then 56 mile bike / 2 mile run brick the next is considered taper. It really kind of concerns me what my training load will look like when I just train for Olympics and an annual 1/2 iron race.

Can I go out to the lake and just do two loops (1.1 mile) when I can four?
Can I switch my riding style from iron distance endurance to short course speed and not feel that I am cheating myself mileage?
Oh Lord, I think I actually committed to speed work on a track this summer.

3 comments:

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

You're mah boy, Blue!
Let's raise a pint to "better to be undertrained than overtrained".

Bigun said...

always look on the bright side of life, whistle, whistle, whistle...

what are you, like, 35 and you are looking ahead to Oly's already?!?! Snap out of it, man!

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

Wow. So soon! I'll be watching and rooting for you to do great things - undertrained has to be better than overtrained, right?

right?