Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Vacation

I don't take many vacation days. For instance the morning my son was born, fully developed and 4 weeks early, I was in a meeting 3 hours later. This is the first year I have made a concerted effort to take both full vacations I am allowed, its the first time in ten years. I know weird. So I generally take only one vacation period and it seems more and more that something unforseen occurs.

One year Mighty Mo and I both got pneumonia. Another started with Mistress going in for emergancy gall bladder surgery and staying in the hospital for the week. One weekend vacation I planned to go to a wedding out of state, Mighty Mo was admitted to the hospital for an infection and dehydration. Another year Mistress recieved some bad news about her job as the Accounts Payable person. All these things happening during the my only ten days off a year. This year seems no different.

Last night Mistress shocked me with, "I think I need you to go to the store and get a pregnancy test, I am....." Thrity extremely painful and numbing minutes later on my part and its absolutely negative. Remind myself to schedule a vasectomy, crap that scare wigged me out. So not ready to ever have another kid.

Today at a doctors appointment and they found something, things, in her breasts.....

They have scheduled a mammogram for Thursday. Which means no results till after Christmas, which makes the third Christmas in a row in which our lifes are tied to medical results. See for the last two years Mighty Mo has spent part of or all Christmas Day in the hospital. Now this.

Its way to soon to be dramatic or negative, but the mind does wonder. The doctor said it was nothing resembling what you might see as a story of the week on television, nothing so huge and dramatic as life or death.

In other less dramatic news I cut my run short today because my knee was acting up. I am thinking seriously of cutting my marathon to the half due to all the stress, precieved or actual, that I am going to be going through the next few weeks. I think if this was an 'A' race that would be different, but PF Changs just an event for me.

Tonight is the two hour finale of Nip/Tuck so I am planning on putting the trainer in front of the television and riding the whole time. I also swapped out my cable box for a cable with DVR (digital video recording) which will help me go to sleep earlier since I won't have to stay up to watch a program.

20 comments:

Keryn said...

I had a similar scare this summer. Not fun, even if it turns out ok. Glad to hear nothing is dreadfully wrong.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the rest of your vacation is uneventful and relaxing.

Okolo said...

My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Nancy Toby said...

I'm wishing you all a happy and safe and healthy family Christmas together, and hope all your news is good news.

And do something about that vacation time! Time off is essential to your health and longevity!!!

Ellie Hamilton said...

That they found "things" and not "a thing" is a positive straw to grasp at. More often a bad thing hangs out by itself, not with friends.

Why do events often take a downward turn at Christmastime? I don't know, but it happens in our family, too. Weird.

Chris said...

Here's to hoping that everything with Mistress works out ok. She'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

Papa Tweet said...

Com,
Sorry to hear about your wife. My thoughts are with you.
Benny

Bolder said...

Comm, I'm not a praying man, but because you are, I'll say a prayer for your wife, and one for you.

Greg.

Mica said...

Comm, hope all the news is good news. You've been through a lot already. Keep us updated.

Flabbyironman said...

we'll be praying for you as we drive back to Minneapolis tomorrow... and I'll pray right now that it will be a calm and peaceful Christmas.

Nytro said...

my mom was diagnosed with a precursor to breast cancer earlier this year (LCIS). they were able to remove a lobe and she has to take tamoxafin for the next five years, but she's going to be okay.

tell mistress that we're thinking of her and that you're all in our prayers.

soccerdad said...

com, you and mistress will certainly be in my prayers this Christmas. here's hoping that everything turns out well.

IMmike said...

Com,

Hope things with the mistress work out. Enjoy the downtime and the holidays.

mipper said...

first of all, prayers are being offered for you and your wife. second, i agree with Ellie. hold onto that thought. i am sure many women have had similar experiences. mine was pain with no lump (only 10% of breast cancer patients have that symptom). after an exam the doctor said a lot of times tissue changes with childbirth and can mimic not so great and scary things. just the same, my thoughts and pryaers are being offered for you and your family.

do what you feel is best for teh race. knowing you, you are making it a matter of much thought and prayer. you'll do the right thing.

Cliff said...

CMS,

Prayer to you, Mistress and Mighty Moe.

With your work hours and home situation, a vacation is definitely in order. At least release some stress. I am quite a workaholic myself as well. I haven't took any vacation days (sick days don't count). I figure, I am going to use some of it for training and/or resting.

I plan on doing a marahton as well. But the IM is the prize. You don't need to run a marathon to train for IM. Running is too hard on the body. Espcially those that goes for 3-4 hrs. Even though I know i can beat my 5 hr marathon easily, I need to keep my ego in check. IMUSA 2007 is the prize. Marathon will just get me side track from it.

I hope your knee gets better...is it a sharp pain or a sore? Above knee cap or below it?

Kona Shelley said...

I'll be thinking and praying for you guys this holiday season..best wishes..I hope everything turns out well for you!!

Phil said...

I too, like Bolder don't pray very much, but for what it's worth, I have just said one now you guys. I found lumps in my chest this year, and it totally freaked me out. Turned out to be nothing, and they went away. Here's wishing you, "nothing".

P.S. If you need a little chuckle, it's minus 20 right now in Ottawa.

tarheeltri said...

Seems like quite a few people have experienced something similar to your wife, as mine did earlier this year. It's scary, but if its anything, it sounds like she's caught it early. I'm praying that everything will be fine.

Regarding the second kid... for some, that is the vasectomy.

Steven said...

Best wishes to you and your wife, Com. You are both in our prayers.

bunnygirl said...

The good news is that there are a lot of reasons for a woman to have a breast abnormality and most of those reasons aren't cancer.

I had a benign fibroadenoma removed several years ago and it was so not a big deal. I didn't even need my pain meds, although I was extra-padded on one side for a few days and my left breast turned lots of very interesting colors.

More info available upon request.

It'll be a good Christmas. Really!

Flatman said...

I will definitely be praying for the mistress!