Saturday, December 3, 2005

A New Shiny Thing

I try to have an open mind about my vision for Ironman training. I am honest about my strengths and weaknesses and work to sustain the first and improve the later.

I have reviewed my limitations in getting all my training completed for Ironman Florida. One of the benefits of reading all the blogs in the Triathlete Alliance is that I take so much from the postings. I dwelled a lot on Shelleys post from IronMuse on marathon training and bike completion.

One of the apects I have always dwelled upon was saddle time. The weather here is perfect for year round cycling, however I don't have carte blanche to ride every day outdoors, nor am I blessed with the genetic disposition to be a strong cyclist on minimal training. Primarily my problem is not my work hours but my time with my son, who is essentially a 'crew served' child.

(Inside information for all but probably Tridaddy; in the military there are different types of weapon systems, the M-16 for example is a individual weapon- meaning it takes only one soldier to operate. A crew served weapon like a mortar or heavy machine gun is defined as needing more than one soldier to operate- a gunner, ammo bearer, base plate carrier. Okay maybe to much oinformation but I love military terms)

So my son, being a 'crew served' boy based on his medical needs, sometimes takes two or three of us to get him ready for bed or care for him when his system depresses. Anyway, training is superceded based on the health of the Mighty Mo.

Your saying, "Okay already, get on with it!"

So I bought a new Shiny Thing. The RavX T3 trainer. Its nowhere near a high end item like are available but its a good item for the price and offers a bare bones neccesity for those days when indoor training is more preferable to no training.
I promise a product review on set up and use in the near future.


8 comments:

IMmike said...

Com,

Good pickup! I really like my trainer. I don't get it out too much these days because I'm worried I'll piss off my roommate.

Cliff said...

We do what we gotta do. I am glad u are discipline to put family first.....

Love the military lingos :)

Coach Tammy said...

Sure, blame your son for your needing to buy cool stuff. Niiiiice. :)

Papa Tweet said...

Com,
Welcome to the ranks of trainer ownership. With time, you will develop a love/hate relationship with that thing. Trainers have a definate place in training, and in fact, they are essential to proper training, in my opinion. Interval spins will give you a great workout and you will feel great afterward. However, "pony time" as I like to call it, can be very difficult, mentally. Luckily, you are a strong willed guy, and I know you will ride it often. But, you heard it here first, you will loathe your trainer one day. Nice pick up, and good luck with it. Take care bro!

Bolder said...

mmmmmm, new shiny things.

Flatman said...

Fun...but not as fun as outside!

Enjoy...

Kona Shelley said...

Nice!! Remember, Fla is flat, so riding indoors on a trainer isn't that bad!!! I wish I was as lucky as you though and able to ride outdoors, that's what i'd be doing...wayyyy too cold here now...so i'm stuck on a trainer until the spring thaw..:-((

Papa Tweet said...

Hey Com,
By the way, you are a dirt bag for the fertility clinic joke. Funny as shit though. I've never laughed so hard at anything blog related. You crack me up.
Benny