Monday, October 2, 2006

Two down, one to go

Sunday was my 112 mile ride. Mission Accomplished. Felt really good up to about 108 miles and then my legs started to get heavy. I kept my cadence in the high 80's but the ole speedo wouldn't climb above 16 mph at that point. What helped me through these literally last few miles was thinking of all the times I had bonked at only 30 miles or dragged my ass in at 50 miles.

For the ride I averaged 17.9 miles per hour and a cadence of 92 rpms. It took me a total of 6hr 45minutes including pit stops and an waiting for other riders.

At 80 miles we pulled into the gas station on the loop so we could all link up again and I ran inside for a Coca Cola. A real honest to God, red canned, sugared up Coke that I have not drank in ten years. I realized that I needed to burp really bad and Coke is provided on the Florida course. It was a good test of race day reality and it felt so good with no stomach issues. Burps ensued.

My large size bike bottle carried all my nutrition for the ride; 2,100 calories, 75% of which was CarboPro and the rest Cytomax and powdered endurolytes. I nipped off the bottle every five miles for approximately 300 calories per hour which has been my personal strategy all year. The only 'mistake' if you will, was that I had to switch to every ten miles at mile 80 since I was running low. The calories from the Coke help off set some of that which is a good battle strategy to remember.

What helped pass the time was the support from the AZTRICLUB. Taizzir and Glen helped start me off at 0500 by joining me for the first 56 miles. Taizzir then went and ran ten miles at a 7'30" pace. A few other members came out to ride their own personal distances, some with me and some on their own. Heather who is also doing Florida this year rode 98 miles after spending much of the last three weeks in Europe on vacation. Some of this we were able to do together but we have different paces so it was hit or miss.

The Machine came out and paced me the last 43 miles. It was a good workout for him since he was able to sleep in and putz around before getting in a good ride and I was paced by an ironman and capable cyclist during a potentially rough patch of mileage.

We finished the ride with a picnic of Red Stripe beer and chicken / lettuce wraps. The Machines wife Wendy came out and Heather finished her ride with perfect timing. Then I went home and took a ice bath followed by jaccuzi.

So I got in my iron swim and my iron bike segment this weekend. All that is left now is a long run next weekend and then its taper time. After that its all up to God and Uncle Murphy.

4 comments:

Tri-Angle said...

Well done Commodore...Well done. Sorry I missed it. Even with rest yesterday, at a lowly 40 minutes on the same course this morning, I was pooped.

jp said...

nice job. 6:45 for 112 with stops is solid.

You're going to crush at IMFL.

stronger said...

Can't you leave Murphy out of it? Seems like he is the annoying uncle who brings trouble. I picture Uncle Murphy as Clark Griswold's cousin Eddie.

Cliff said...

Good stuff Commodore..

that nutrition stuff takes a lot of trial n error to get it...and u need to change plans on the fly if something don't feel right.