Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Turn, Turn, Turn

For some reason I woke to that song by the Byrds (?) this morning. Why is something changing? Let me pull my head out of the sand.

Well the 50 point check list is all marked 'DONE'. I've made my ritual breakfast of PB& Honey and waiting for the shuttle to take me to the airport. All the heads have been kissed and dog roughed up and I am ready to go.

Almost twenty years ago I got on plane and flew to Ft. Benning Georgia for Infantry Basic Training. I remember looking out the window of the plane as it climbed and thinking, "I will come back a man." I definitely came back changed but don't think I truly became a man until my son was born, up until then I still could play it fast and loose with my responsibilities.

I have had some of the same thoughts this week but no I can be no more a man, there is no degrees. I go to test my body and my mind in a ultimate challenge against a tough course and race.

I pray I come back an Ironman and will do all I can to that end.

Thank you all so much for making this journey as fun as it has been. I never imagined CMS the Blog would be such an important part of my life and you people in it care so much about me. I did not think I would care as much about you. But I do deeply.

I think if anything I hope that the path of all of us took to Ironman this year using the Triathlete Alliance will keep going, like next year in Wisconsin but also in other races.

A legacy is all we can ask for.

12 comments:

Tri-Angle said...

You WILL be more of a man in my opinion Comm. You are already. It's not only the day, the race.....it is truely the journey. And I for one am better for having shared part of it with you. Be strong, be smart and be FEARLESS
A.

Flatman said...

Go Comm. Rock that course like the bad mofo you are... I'll be watching. ;)

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

"A legacy is all we can ask for."

You are clearly crafting a legacy to be proud of for you son and his sons. Safe travels, safe racing, and enjoy the journey!

Able

Habeela said...

It's definitely changing and come Saturday night, you're life will have officially shifted forever.

stronger said...

We'll be flipping pancakes and flipping through Ironman Live because I couldn't have gotten through some of my days without YOU. You deserve the same. We'll be cheering for you and when you get to that mile that really sucks...that's when we'll be pulling for you. Enjoy the experience.

Glen said...

You are the man Comm, it's been great watching you through the last 5 or 6 months. You are a great man and training partner, I could not ask more out of a person, and I'm proud to call you a close friend. My family will be with you on saturday watching you move over the Ironman race. Good luck friend and just keep moving.

Cliff said...

Comm,

You are ready for IM. We will be watching from Ironmanlive.

I am glad to be able to find your blog and go through your training from day one.

Steven said...

Go get it, Comm.

You are ready and you will rock it!

mipper said...

best wishes and luck Comm. yours was the first ever triathlon blog i found. ever. i can't believe i have followed you for almost three years now. crazy! God speed my friend. you and the others are in my thoughts and prayers.

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

I'm very excited for you. You've already created a legacy of determination, hard work, and encouragement.

I will be at the finish line waiting for you. If you finish between 6-9pm, I'll personally hand you a mylar blanket. Otherwise, look for me cheering like a maniac from the side lines. :)

GO COMM!

greyhound said...

I think I know something of how you feel. I always felt like I was walking around in my dad's clothes playing grownup until my daughter came along. Then I was a man. I can still be a better man or "more" of a man, and typically, it is struggle and crisis that makes me change for the better.

Do it because it is hard. Blessings to you, friend.

Nytro said...

good luck, comm. we know you're ready. we know you'll rock that course. we wish we could be there to watch you all cross.

congrats on the journey thus far!