Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Biopsy Results

Some unpleasant news to report from the Valley of The Sun.

Mighty Mo, the three year old boy wonder and uber-cute kid has the results of last weeks biopsy. Colitis. Mistress is distraught to say the least. She watched a special friends spiral into the abyss with his colitis, which eventually led to a permanent colostomy bag. But that was not the worst of it. It was the depression and I guess the failure to overcome the enormity of the condition that took a bright happy young man and turned him into a crushed shell who pushed everyone away, got himself fired from his job then committed mental and emotional suicide on his future. No he did not commit physical suicide, though the wall's of anger he projected were the subjective equivalent.

I suppose I am still in research mode and not exactly feeling as dismayed as she, though rightly concerned. The doctor assures us that this is not yet an advanced condition like uleractive colitis or Crohns and the medicine should give us a good diagnosis on future tracks of combativeness. He needs to go through about four months of 3 times a day medicine before the first check up.

The biopsy also fit several pieces of many puzzling facts together about his lifelong battle with rapid immune system failure. Colitis is a sub-category of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), not to be confused with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). The doctors were able to link the biopsy findings with many of his other conditions since birth with a symptom of IBD called over-reactive immune system.

This means that when a normal viral or bacterial infection runs its course through the body, the immune systems hyper reacts and attacks not only the infection but once the infection is defeated continues to attack tissues of the digestive tract. This explains the rapid deteoration from common cold to pneumonia and dehydration in 24 hours. Its explains the constipation, rectal bleeding, vomiting during bowel movements and a whole host of other things that in the past have all be considered seperate from the low immune system.

Mistress is putting up a brave front but I know this woman too well. And though she has not yet said it, she feels responsible for this since colitis is a genetic condition from her side of the family. It's not fair for her to put this kind of pressure on herself and the best I can do is comfort her any way I can over the next few days. I already scheduled a massage for her tomorrow after work. I will work through this by educating myself on the disease and looking for alternate avenues other than just medicine, such as diet changes and probiotics.

Unbelievably this has taken me two hours to write. I have been researching and reaching out to others for advice and now suddenly need to just break this off and get on with the day. My run has been cancelled for today and considering blowing off my alternate workout on the trainer tonight so that I can be attentive to Mistress.

I would appreciate your comments. As I have done with past updates on Mo's conditions, I will print them out and give them to Mistress so she can see the expressions of love, concern and prayer are going on out there in the world. If any of you have experience with colitis in your family I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks.

25 comments:

Flo said...

Oh Comm, you know your family is in my prayers. Mo is such a cutie!!

A note of rationalization though, I have a friend who has Crohn's disease and does very well. He's had it his whole life and is 50 now. So don't look at the worst side. Mo is very young, he will cope and adjust, especially with you and the mistress to help him along.

Good luck and be sure to keep us updated.
Aloha.

Nancy Toby said...

I'm sorry. It certainly must be worrisome and stressful - but a diagnosis at least gives you something concrete to address. Fewer bad surprises is a good thing, I hope.

All the best to MO, who I'm sure is being a champ through all of it!

bunnygirl said...

Hang in there, Comm. You're doing the best thing you can do by educating yourself.

It would be easy to get sucked into the worst-case what-ifs, but it's very unlikely anything remotely as bad as you can imagine will come to pass.

Be strong and smart, and help Mistress be strong and smart, too. Positive action will help Mo thrive and have a great life, in spite of this difficulty.

Best of luck to your family.

Keryn said...

Both my husband and I are rooting for Mo! He is such a bright and vibrant young man, I'm sure this will be little more than a blip on his happy and long life.

What you said about the immune system issues being linked with this new thing is interesting.

I agree with Nancy that at the very least this gives you something to focus on. Have faith and be patient...Mo is a strong kid and he'll be just fine.

I'm thinkin' of y'all!

tarheeltri said...

I'm sorry to hear that Comm. But like everyone has said, you guys are doing the right things and Mo is a tough kid. Things will work out!

IMmike said...

Sorry to hear about that Comm. I want to echo what everyone else is saying. Best of luck and you will be in my prayers.

Mike

Sean said...

I know my nephew is a tough kid as his father and mother but I'm here for you bro anytime and you need to talk. I can't express in words the pit in my stomach but at the same time I'm glad there is an answer to the questions which keep bring Mo back to the hospital. Knowledge is power and I pray now that there is a path to follow, Mo will be on a quicker road to recovery.

Sean

Bolder said...

Comm, you are in my thoughts, and so is Mistress and the Mighty Mo.

I'm looking forward to meeting you. Thanks for your number, I'm going to be giving you a call soon.

Rainbow said...

Oh Comm it makes me sad to hear that. From everything you say I know that Mighty Mo is tough like his Daddy. I feel for Mistress as I can picture myself doing the exact same thing and I truly empathize (sp) with her right now. Part of being a loving mom is the guilt we place upon ourselves, it is just what she will naturally do. I love the fact you are trying to comfort her and I can think of few other things than a massage to make her feel better. (For me it would be a couple of nice dark chocolates in addition to the massage :) ) I am thinking of all of you and sending you my best wishes.
--Rainbow

Jen_runs said...

My thoughts are with you & your family

Kona Shelley said...

Be strong, he needs you!!! God gives us what he knows we can handle..you can handle this, give him a big hug for me...take care!!!

Flatman said...

You guys are already in my prayers, but I will be sending up a few more now... Take care of your family Comm, everything will work itself out. Give Mo a big bear hug for me...

Habeela said...

My heart definitely goes out to you all. I hope that at the end of all of this, you will have everything you could ever want. Mo couldn't have two better people to be his parents and help him through this! Keep us updated.

Cliff said...

Commodore,

I pray that your family will be able to handle this situation..

You are such a kind man. Knowing how your wife is stressing and decide to get a massage for her.

I ma sure with you and your wife being such loving parents..Mighty Mo will be coming out this stronger and healthier.

Fe-lady said...

I am thinking of you, your wife and Mighty Mo and sending good thoughts and outcomes your way!

Andy said...

I have told my girlfriend and a few close friends about Mo, and we all wanted to let you know that we are rooting for him! It is a shame that a kid like yours has to go through something like this at his age. He should be out having a blast 24 hours a day like other kids, not having to stay in because he does not feel well, sick, etc...

Hopefully everything will work out for the best!

Murtha...

"Smash" said...

I am so sorry and will praying for your family right after I write this. There is nothing I can say but I will pass it up to the Big Guy and we can go from there.

I also have a friend that has Chrohn's dieases and functions normally. So hopefully that will all work out.

On the diet question and information there is a book call The Maker's Diet. This guy went through some really bad issues with colitis and used the Old Testament diet (goat milk, whole foods, nothing processed, etc...) to help him and it worked and he functions normally and is really healthy. I looked into this book because I was having really bad issues and I took up some of the advice and it really seemed to work. I didn't go all out like the writer but it has a lot of information. Check it out and let me know what you think.

My prayers are with the little one.

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

As always, you face this challenge with stoic courage. My heart goes out to all of you. It's hard for Mo because he is so young, hard for the Mistress (though she should giver herself a break), and you're left trying to support the people you love. You have an amazing family. My prayers are with you.

Tri-Angle said...

Comm
Mighty Mo is just that....Mighty. Our prayers are with you guys.
Stay strong my brother.
A.

jp said...

comm,

This is terrible news....my heart goes out to you, Mistress and your little boy.

Based on what you've shared with us on your blog about your family's character and attitude towards life, I'm sure you will persevere through this difficult time. Its amazing what a positive outlook, a loving, supporting family and lots of education about Mo's ailments will acheive.

Hug your little boy tight, my friend.

You're all in our thoughts.

stronger said...

If any kid can roll with the punches- it's Mo. That was nice of you to take care of Mistress as well. And sometimes it takes a donut or tow to take care of yourself.

Odysseus said...

Comm:

I've been reading your site for over a year, but never commented before. I'm so sorry to hear about Mo. He will be in my prayers.

This may not be helpful, but I also have colitis. Not Chrohn's or ulcerative, just colitis. I took a bunch of prescribed meds, etc., but with little relief. My wife did some research and got me on a daily routine of taking a multivitamin (called "Alive" (cheesy name)), 1 garlic pill, 1 chromium picolinate and 1 1000 mg Vitamin C. My stomach hasn't hurt since. For what it's worth.

TriReb

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

you are an unbelievably understanding guy - i love the empathy you have for the missus, not many people would get that. so you are maybe not so common after all.

focus on a positive outcome - your baby is young, they do so much growing and this could change.

mipper said...

Prayers for you and your family. It is not your wife's fault, she needs to understand and accpet that when she is able to. My heart will be with you all as you learn about this and face this together.

Jessi said...

Hi Comms,
Sorry I'm late with my well-wishes but I just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and your family. One of my friends from high school has colitis and she lives a very happy life - just got married, in fact! It is totally possible to get through this.
-Jessi