Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Stressed

I seem to have a healthly exterior but I am stressed out about this Mo thing, Ironman coming up, closeout business from last month, blah blah blah.

All the comments online and offline have been beautiful and I thank you. I must confess that this stress has affected my eating. Last night I went to pick up his new medicine and also bought a pint of Hagan Daz cookie dough ice cream, then mixed it with honey roasted party peanuts and peanut butter. Honestly I don't even remember if it tasted good.

This morning when I woke up at 0400 Mistress was not in bed. I figured Mighty Mo was crying in the night and she took him into the guest room or snuggled him in his bed. No. She was sitting at the computer shopping on e-bay. She told me she had been up since 0130 and stress had given her some acid reflux.

I didn't really want to ride this morning but I did 75 minutes of hills with John. It was good to talk to him about this stuff and other stressors. He is a good listener with sound advice. When we got done all I wanted was three doughnuts. I don't eat doughnuts very often but when I get that craving twice a year I indulge. I ate four Dunkin Doughnuts going into work. One was an apple fritter the size of a small pizza. Hey I didn't pick em', I just jammed my pie hole with em'.

I'm pretty positive that lunch will be a similiar gut bomb since today I pretty much have no desire or thought to control my urges.

Is this not what the Common Man does?

10 comments:

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Give yourself a break. There's nothing wrong with using food to cope with stress every now and then. It's a tool just like workouts. Use it.

The Common Man thing to do would be to eat like a maniac, totally oblivious to the fact that this is stress related and temporary.

Your mindfulness separates you from the common man.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

in my experience, the biggest consequence from the sugar/fat fix is the feeling i get immediately afterward - like i've been hit with a mallet.

i agree with trifeist - donut be so hard on yourself. do keep talking, it is therapeutic.

Bolder said...

donut be so hard on yourself! (i heart the dread pirate)

dude, the Common Man would not have done 75 minutes of hills... he would have been still in bed with the covers over his head.

you need some down time. you need to cope. keep workin' it out.

an apple fritter the size of a small pizza? dude, i like the way you roll!

Nancy Toby said...

Now I want an apple fritter too, dammit. Quit making me hungry.

And I want YOU making the sundaes at the post-IMFL party!!!

Wendy said...

Some people (like, say, me for example) find carbs and stress go together like they're their own special Dynamic Duo. And dark chocolate ... it has Magical Properties.

I figure it's ever so much better that way than for people who can't eat because they're stressed. Them I really feel sorry for.

Glen said...

COMM YOU ARE STILL THE MAN. YOU WERE ABLE TO GET OUT THERE AND FACE THE WORLD AND NOT CRAWL INTO A COURNER AND HIDE. ANYTHING YOU NEED MY FAMILY IS HERE FOR YOU, ANYTHING.

Jen_runs said...

Don't be hard on yourself. You are going through a really stressful time - and you are also training for your first Ironman! Be kind to yourself; because that will help Mistress & Mo more than you stressing out any further right now.

Brent Buckner said...

Comm, you're processing a lot right now. Change is in and of itself stressful - your stress level has spiked.

My take: check back in two and a half weeks. If you're settling into an habitually insane dietary regimen then I'll happily volunteer to tell you to put down the donut and step away. In the meanwhile, I'd say don't stress yourself over using a temporary coping mechanism - know yourself well enough to know that it's temporary.

Good work on the hills!

mipper said...

you are coping so so much better than i would at the moment. heck, I want an apple fritter the size of a pizza and i am not even dealing with what is happening with you right now. give yourself a few days to breathe. maybe you and the family can just get away this weekend. i know you tend to not vacation together, but maybe it will help. we're here for you.

Habeela said...

Oh my word! Thank you for completely clarifying why I have been eating complete crap the last 3 weeks: stress! The whole world makes sense!

Just remember, you can probably get away with the crap right now more so than if you were in off-season already.