Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A New Shiny Thing

I don't celebrate Fathers Day, much like I don't celebrate Mothers Day. I do however love celebrating Me Day's and I bought a new camera. Obstensibly its for Mistress who is quite the photog with her decade old Elph advantix but miserable with my Nikon F100 SLR 35mm.

In the process of deciding to get either a new video camera or a new small digital for Mistress I found the Olympus Stylus 710 on sale. Its a 7.1 megapixel with video capability. With the 1gb card I bought I can take 45 minutes of video, not high res stuff but enough to have fun with the memorys.

The camera is also water and dirt-resistant meaning I can carry the thing in my jersey pocket or bento box and not worry about sweat or water affecting it during training. I don't know about you but I have feared for my cell phone a few times with the way I sweat in this heat.

Ratings online put it somewhere in the middle of the ultra compact camera catagory. I am not to frustrated with that for two reasons. I will save a ton of money on no longer having to buy expensive advantix film and pay $11 for developing including a subpar quality CD. Secondly I have a high end 35mm Nikon that no digital will touch until a 20 megapixel camera comes out. Sorry all you devoted digital people, 35mm still takes the best quality pictures hands down.

I hope to get some great training shots over the next twenty weeks and maybe, hopefully video of swimming at canyon lake. Then I just have to figure a way to get video on the site.

Is there a Flikr for video?

4 comments:

Chris said...

How weird! I just bought a new digital camera for myself yesterday.

So your new digital can't take as good of pictures as your Nikon. At least it fits better in your pocket. :)

Fumo Santo said...

Bolder is right; www.youtube.com is the best for video.

Digital vs. Film - I've been a long time film buff, but have been swayed recently with digital. It's not necessarily the Mb of the camera that will produce better photos, but the optics and processor (generally the higher the Mb, the larger the file and the larger the print, but are you really looking to print larger than 8x10?). It might be fun for you to frame up shots with the digital, and then take the same shot with your 35mm on the same settings for a shot by shot comparison.

Keep in mind that when and if you bring your card or cd in for processing, you'll want to make sure they're printed at the highest DPI available, 300 is a good standard, but some processors only run at 72, thus a poor result.

It might be a good idea to invest in Photoshop or Paintshop (Photoshop Elements may have come with your software package). This way you have a little more control over what your results will be. What good is a shiny new toy without the tools to back it up, right?

I hope that helps a little, and welcome to the world of digital.

Nytro said...

very cool camera, comm. very cool, indeed.

Rainbow said...

o.k. First I also have an elph advantix. Took some great panaramic shots at the Ironman AZ. It now takes blurry and dark pictures no matter the brightness of day. Fun to discover after you said have paid for developing and said CD. THe camera shop said it would be more to fix than the cost of it originally, so needless to say we are considering a digital. At the same time I cannot rationalize a new camera when I also have my Canon Elan II 35mm which I agree no digital can touch. It is just big and bulky. Damn it was expensive getting the advantix film developed wasn't it?

Ironic timing for your post. I like the training pics idea.